Aluminum Kegs??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought all kegs were made from SS. I see a pair of "Aluminum" kegs for sale, and I wonder if that is right. They ARE dull-looking, and certainly look Aluminum from the pictures.

I don't see myself doing 10G batches, but would they be worth the $35 for both?

Most kegs are SS, I know there are a very few confirmed cases of aluminum kegs. I'd buy two of either kind for $35, an aluminum keg would be fine to boil in.

Of the Aluminum kegs I've seen they all look different in design than the normal SS kegs, the upper rim was not rolled like a normal keg.

3n93o13l2ZZZZZZZZZ96o8b5ba784673f1c04.jpg

Some aluminum kegs have a coating on the inside.
I don't know how this would effect boiling in.
Here is on that I had and decided to discard.
IMAG0060.jpg

Ohhh ok. I was thinking straight sided kegs. I don't know if I'd want a curved sided vessel to boil in, seems like it would be a bit harder to clean.

Well, I don't have any real interest if only for boiling. I don't see going to 10 G batches and have no other use for them.

I can imagine removing the coating would not be too difficult, and people regularly clean a boil kettle of all shapes. Plus, they are going to boil the next batch for an hour anway, so why worry about being too clean?

I am looking for old half/quarter and eighth barrels. They are mostly from the 1960/70's. Anyone know where I can buy some?

I actually ended up purchasing one like the picture from a flea market down the road. I cut open the top and am still trying to decide if I want to use it or not. I'll have to bang on the bottom and have someone weld a spot on the side, but I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work for boiling in, and I could use a bigger boil kettle.

i have one of those pots that i use for a HLT. i have a thermometer and sight gauge drilled into it, and after multiple boils havent had any off flavors or any part of that coating come off.

i was a little worried at the beginning as well, but haven't had any issues yet.

Back