First huge blowoff...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I use 6.5 Gal buckets with loose fitting lids to ferment in... usually this is fine! Apart from I had to use a standard 5.5 gal one as I had four brews all fermenting at once....

Checked it today and the lid is sitting up on a couple inches of foam.

Now Ive cleaned up what had poured out, and im hoping it will subside again soon...

Im guessing with such a lot of krausen that I dont need to worry and any contamination... hopefully

The first few days of fermentation there is so much co2 blowing out of there it is a positive environment.

I only wonder as today I took a look and there seems to be a few small fruit flies after the remnants of the blowoff that poured out, and I wouldnt want them to get in anywhere. My containers are far from airtight, and even have gaps since the lids are mix and match. Maybe I need to look into new fermentors that I can seal up better? I know that at this stage theres not much worry, but when the fermentation dies down a bit I wouldnt want anything to crawl in

Latest posts

Back