Areated my wort during the sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joydivision

Reaction score
My tube got clogged and dumped a bunch in at the same time. I saw where Palmer said this could cause flavor inconsistencies or something. Am I in big trouble?

There's a lot of debate on this forum about hot side aeration. In my experience, you will be fine.

Yeah, I've heard more opinions that refute hot side aeration as a problem. I am a little careful but in the past would splash with reckless abandon. I don't think it changed my outcomes any.

Frankly, using a yeast starter and controlling fermentation temps are about the only things I'm really convinced make a big difference

Pardon the beginner (hell, not even started yet, but trying to read and learn as much as possible before jumping in) but is HSA an issue at all pre-boil? I was under the impression that boiling would drive out dissolved gases, so aeration during mash and sparge would be non-issues.

Am I missing some point of this debate?

IMO it is non issue, I batch sparge and I stir the heck out of it with never an ill effect.
It might be an issue post boil before cooling though. I am not willing to test that one.

Back