A419 Johnson

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammertoed

Reaction score
I recently purchased this unit and an up right freezer. I'm new to this part of the brewing, only done ales in my basement so far. Well I hooked the unit up by running the probe up through the drain hole in the freezer and it is in the back right corner of the freezer which is right next to my carboy. I set the temp the night before at 58 degrees, well I had to change the setting to 54 to reach the temp I wanted. Is this a common issue with these units? I was under the assumption that they were accurate and pretty much plug and play. Any insight would be appreciated and or helpful tips.

Mine reads about 2 degrees lower than my fermentometer... I haven't calibrated either one so idk if either is right.

This is with the probe up against the carboy behind a few towels.

is the controller sitting free in the air in the cooler or in a small cup of water? Air temperature will fluctuate pretty easily and often in the cooler. I put my probe in a cup of water which helps keep the freezer from turning on and off so frequently.

Back