What is yer BIAB keggle setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
Was thinking valve with a 30' SS braid that snakes around the bottom of the keg. Figured it would filter out some break material if I use an immersion chiller. I've been getting flustered lately trying to put equipment together, especially the burner. Need something elevated (no pump) that won't be a chore to keep fired. Seems like lots of issues with banjo burners. Blinchman with legs worth the money?

I'm using a ten gallon Blichmann pot with a stainless basket, pretty much the same setup as Seven in her thread here. I've been using an under-powered Bayou burner but after seeing the Blichmann with extensions I ended up ordering one. They are on back order right now though so expect a month or so delay in getting one if you order it.

I put a hook on the eve over my garage and a cleat on the window frame below it. It works perfect for hanging a pulley and lifting the basket out.

For the bag I am using paint strainers but am in the process of making a couple myself. Hopefully I'll get one done before I brew this weekend.

I subscribe to the KISS theory.

I have a commercial 15 gal. pot with spigot that I got off craigslist for $50. My kitchen stove can actually get this sucker with 7.5 gallons in it boiling. I made my own bag to fit said pot. When mash-out is done, my buddy and I lift the bag...hold for a minute or so then set on a kitchen strainer on top of a sanitized brew bucket to finish draining.

It may not be elegant, but it leaves a lot more money for ingredients :D

I do plan to get a propane burner before summer...the AC would never handle that much excess heat!

I just converted my bayou 62qt SS kettle to electric with two 2000w elements and a simple control box.

It looks like its wearing a tin foil hat with the insulation... But it works!

image-886194546.jpg

I have the Blichmann burner with legs and yes, it was worth the money. It is a great burner. Mine is running NG from a pipe stub outside. This alone has added ease to the brew day.

ultravista said:
I have the Blichmann burner with legs and yes, it was worth the money. It is a great burner. Mine is running NG from a pipe stub outside. This alone has added ease to the brew day.

So the Blinchman doesn't have the flame to kettle height issue everyone else talks about? Just a valve on the pot/keggle? No filtering the break material?

I haven't paid attention to the flame / kettle height. It works for me and works well. NG is cheap so if there's a little efficiency problem, I don't know or care.

The keggle does have a valve and I don't filter the break material. My pickup tube is slightly elevated now and no longer sucking the last drop off the center of the kettle.

I don't brew in a bag, I mash in a bag and use a hop bag also. The wort is clean with the exception of the hot break.

What filter will filter hot break?

Yes, mash in a bag. I don't think anyone brews in a bag, well maybe boiling with a hop bag. I was just wondering if those SS braids would be worth it or just go with a short angled dip tube of some kind. Probably going with an immersion chiller, I guess if I whirlpool the break will stay close enough to the center that I don't need to worry about a braid.

Oh and I just got shipment notification on my Blichmann burner and extensions. Looks like they might be catching up sooner than expected. They were saying end of Jan, early Feb.

I'm tempted. I can buy parts and make a 2 foot stand for about half their price though. Hmmmm. Would it wobble? My garage floor isn't exactly flat.

Back