Brewers Apprentice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalston1021

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, just checking here to see if anyone has brewed a kit from Brewers Apprentice in Clifton, NJ? Want to brew there Holiday Cheer today for the holidays, just seeing if anyone has any input before I go buy it...thanks!!

I've brewed tons of their kits. They're all good and some better than others. For the holidays I've brewed their cranberry maple christmas ale and it was good. Some that I would consistenly buy are the El Jefe Wheat and Tripel, but usually I would look for the most bang for my buck and build off of their recipes to add my own twists. Many of the prices have gone up substantially since I started going there 8 years ago which is why I went AG. They're a good buncha peeps there, though!!

Very nice! Maybe you can help me out...I ended up going to Corrados in Clifton...much closer to where I live. I picked up the Brewers Best Red Ale, the selection of kits there is not very good at all. I am looking to make a holiday ale with the spices...any suggestions on what to add to this kit to get a good flavor and at what points to add. This is only my third brew do I am still a beginner...thanks!!

If you're going for a spiced holiday beer then the possibilities are endless. Just consider what you want in the flavor & improvise. If you're just starting then Radical Brewing is a great book! From experience - go light on spices initially since you can add more later but cant remove once they're in there. You might want to just brew the red ale recipe as is & worry about your techniques first, then get more complicated later. Baby steps!! Have fun & if something goes wrong, rdwhahb :)

Have bought and brewed several kits from BA since I started brewing earlier in the year. Kits are pretty good and true to descriptions. Management is helpful. Can't say the ordering process is top notch though. Online ordering works about half the time and shipping is unreliable. Shipping department is very poor and operators are rude.

I recently ordered some separates including White Labs yeast, hops, malt extract and Candi syrup. However, when I did not receive the order within a week (I live in NJ), I called and was told they "forgot" about it but would ship out immediately. I told them to hold off for a week since I would be out of town over the 4th of July. They held off alright, but packed it up anyway and held the shipment in the shipping box -- and not cold storage. Box finally came to me beat up, warm as could be and shaken beyond recognition. I am sure the yeast set at room temp for a week and then was not shipped with icepacks. Can't say I will order from them again even though they are close. Northern brewer seems better.

Hate to gripe but their customer service stinks.

Vinfriend

Brewer's Apprentice explained the situation and completely rectified the issue.

Back