Cluster v/s Wye Challenger hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
Apparently I grabbed the wrong hops from my LHBS for my Northern Brown that I am brewing today, and they are all closed on Mondays so I can't go to pick up the right one.

It originally called for Wye Challenger and I grabbed cluster. I am using 1 oz. of the cluster hops for a full 60 min. boil. Any comments on how this will turn out different in terms of flavor. The alpha acid content is similar between the two so the bittering potential will be about the same.

Thanks!

I used Cluster in a brown ale with some Warrior, and honestly I didn't think it had a lot of character to it, but if you're using it just for bittering I think you should be ok. What other hops are you using?

For that beer with a single bittering addition it will work just fine. There will be a subtle flavor difference in the beer compared with Challenger but not enough to be concerned with.

Back