Is there a quality difference between Brewers Best kits and Midwest kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somecallmetex

Reaction score
I recently found that I had an LHBS fairly close to me, but their kits are fairly expensive (Brewers Best). Even factoring shipping the midwest kits often are cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between these two brands?

I don't have a comparison yet as I have only brewed from Brewer's best kits up to this point and have had alot of success. However, I just received my first Midwest kit (Liberty Cream Ale) and will be boiling this one as soon as I move my Brewer's Best American Nut Brown into the secondary.

I recently found that I had an LHBS fairly close to me, but their kits are fairly expensive (Brewers Best). Even factoring shipping the midwest kits often are cheaper. Does anyone know if there is a quality difference between these two brands?

For what its worth, I live by Midwest and go there at least once a week for supplies or to just wander during a work break. I literally see their shipping operation (you can't miss it if there) and can vouch that they move fresh ingredients, and lots of it, ensuring turn over.

Just a comment on Midwest, bu I can't tell you anything about Brewers Best.

Midwest is what I've been using (I just started, so none of my beer is ready to drink yet). They seem to have a far larger variety then Brewers Best, but I have to pay for shipping with them. My real concern is that Brewers Best may be lower quality.

I've used both and think Midwest is better, like the difference between a hand-crafted beer and a mass-produced beer.

I have used both, midwest is much better. The extract is much fresher and they turnover their products much quicker. Brewers best are VERY massed produced and nationally distributed.....they sit on the shelf for a long time. Midwest turns their kits over contstantly.....I couldn't be more impressed with them from the few extract kits I did when I first started brewing.

midwest, williams, and northern brewer all have never shipped me anything stale.

I would rate Northern Brewer as the best of the pack.....I love the fact that I can order my kits unmilled and without yeast. I can get a basic all grain cream ale from them for $11....not a bad deal at all.

I just bottled a BB IPA kit today... Tried a warm sample and it tastes pretty good.... We will see how it turns out after carbonation... When I bought it from my LHBS it had just been delivered so I am hoping it was as fresh as possible for a canned kit... A friend told me to add extra hops but I didn't and I'm not convinced that it would be necessary...

Back