Robust vanilla porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalShip

Reaction score
I'm still kinda new at making my own recipes, but we shall see how this comes out.

10lbs Maris otter
1lb chocolate
1/2lb flaked oats
1/2lb crystal 40

Mash at 154f for 60 min then a 60 min boil

1oz northern brewer pellet 8%aa at 60 min
1/2oz northern brewer pellet 8%aa at 20 min
1oz fuggles whole 5.2%aa at 15 minutes

O.g. 1.067 for 5.5 gallons
I get better efficiency than most.

Pitched one pack of rehydrated Nottingham.

Ferment at 64f for 2 weeks then rack to secondary with 2 chopped up vanilla beans for a week or so.

Yea it finished at about 1.018 and is sitting in secondary on the vanilla beans now. The sample from primary tasted pretty good

How did this turn out? Comments? Pictures? I'm making something similar.

The wife and I ended up calling it a vanilla pout because it had more stout characteristics than porter. A friend's wife said that it was by far the best beer I've made and she said it rivals any similar commercial brew. The head retention was not as good as what I would have liked. All in all, the vanilla flavor is subtle and it tastes like a light-bodied stout and drinks as smooth as silk.

Real cool, I'm making Ed's Robust Porter, and throwing 2 chopped vanilla beans soaked in vodka or bourbon into the secondary. Seeing that the vanilla flavor was subtle, I might just throw in 3 vanilla beans. Neat recipe!

You said a pound of chocolate.... malt? baker's chocolate? When did you add it, what did you do? So many questions need answering!!! Panic! LOUD NOISES!!!!

Bad_Horse_Brews said:
You said a pound of chocolate.... malt? baker's chocolate? When did you add it, what did you do? So many questions need answering!!! Panic! LOUD NOISES!!!!

Sorry, yes it is chocolate malt and it is just crushed up with the rest of the grain and mashed.

Latest posts

Back