My New Logo Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have been playing with this for a while and think I am satisfied (for now). The brewery is Iconoclast Brewing. The image/icon in the logo is The Wedding at Cana where Jesus turned water into wine. So, there you have it:

CanaIconoclast.png

I like the ideas, but am having a tough time reading it too. I'd suggest beveling the edges of the letters so that they are more defined.

I think I like the original best - and it has some spacing between the top and bottom words. I don't think the shape is making it hard to read - it's the background

lol, change the background! make it black, maybe. i don't think it's going to matter, though, there's just too much inside the letters.

maybe more blocky letters and not stretched as much would help too. or maybe more subtle and spread apart so only parts of the picture come through instead of trying to make the whole picture come through.

i don't guarantee any of these ideas will work tho :D

Sorry BP, I don't know how you're going to make that work without going the traditional route of having the wording framing the picture. Maybe if you made the picture grey-scale and faded it a bit? It's too high-contrast as is.

I still liked the original concept, the brick-through-the-stained-glass window. These are getting better, but it's harder to see this as an actual logo, there's so much background detail it won't shrink down well.

that is a really neat design. one thing i learned through playing around is that a really thick line on the letters helps for reading. i have found that anywhere from 2pt. to 3.5pt. works well.

I like the new shape. I'm curious if you've tried Inner Glow for the letters instead of dimming down the picture so much. It's a shame to lose so much of that rich color scheme.

rdwj said:
I like the new shape. I'm curious if you've tried Inner Glow for the letters instead of dimming down the picture so much. It's a shame to lose so much of that rich color scheme.

What is Inner Glow, or what do you mean by it?

I think your logo is great! :mug:
It is really coming around with the changes you have made. Have you tried it with the words in front of a dark background?

I'm jealous. I can't even come up with a name for my brewery.

I like it!

I moved "BREWING" down a bit. Then I messed just a little with the brightness and contrast (a few clicks less brightness, a touch less contrast), and put it over a different color. Seems more legible to me. What do you think?

4688-iconoclast.PNG

I still think it is hard to read, the very busy picture isnt helping either.
Youre distorting the type to much which is another cause of the readablility. Looks like it is distorted before you put the warp effect on it

I think you're definitely getting somewhere with this and it's a good idea to explore and tinker with until you've got it just right. Of course legiblility is always going to be something of an issue. I think the harder you try to make the words legible, the more the image inside is at risk of looking forced.

Do you dig 60's psychedelic posters?:

You've got it to a good point now, but if you're at all keen on the idea, I would suggest looking for a psychedelic font, tweaking the color of the background image so it's more uniform, but not 'faded' and throwing legibility out the window, just make it look like a unified whole that makes you wanna stare at it until you figure out what it is! Just my 2 cents.

I'm liking the last revision in the Cathedral shape as well as Yuri's edit of it.

Brewpastor said:
What is Inner Glow, or what do you mean by it?

Are you using photoshop? It's an option that allows you to shade just the edges of the letters and you can control the color and the size. It might help define the letters.

There are also options for bevels that might help too.

I also like the light blue background and contrast. Now, is it better with the following font:

NewPicture.png

Do you remember the post cards that had script with images in them? That is part of the feel I am after, or at least the inspiration for all of this.

I think I like the earlier, more playful script. This seems a little too rigid.

Brewpastor said:

This is the best yet. The lettering is more legible and the picture isn't compromised. You have to concentrate on each aspect seprately, to get the full effect. You can read it without being overwhelmed by the art and you can see the art without the lettering getting in the way.

Great work BP (and Yuri!)

John

Brewpastor said:
I also like the light blue background and contrast. Now, is it better with the following font:

Do you remember the post cards that had script with images in them? That is part of the feel I am after, or at least the inspiration for all of this.

I think I like the earlier, more playful script. This seems a little too rigid.

I agree with you - I like the earlier script better.

it would help if you combined your letter then put the mask on it for the picture and then sent some black type to the back for the outline. then you wouldnt have the black going through the ends of the letters

Back