Enjoying my first glass of EdWort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonM

Reaction score
Man, this stuff is awesome! It's only been in the bottles for a month after a 5ish week long stay in the fermenter and it's already great! It's going to be hard waiting for this stuff to age and mature. Good thing I have another batch going already.

I never liked things like Woodchuck, Strongbow, etc. because they were too sweet, too tart, just too much of ... something. EdWort's Apfelwein has that nice, dry flavor that I really like in a cider. The only thing it may have too much of is drinkability and, at roughly 8.5% ABV, that might get me in trouble some day. Anyway, Cheers all!

in my batches that I have bottled now I have a apfelwein (ed worts) and a strait fermented apple juice (coop organic).

I must say that for some reason the apfelwein is much more drinkable at 3 months (at least with these two batches) than the fermented juice with no additives.

this is strange to me because the juice was the same organic coop juice, but in the apfelwein somehow the apple flavor is more clear even though the alcohol level is higher. both were fermented at the same temps with the same yeast, and the fermented juice is almost too tart, while the apfelwein is quite nice even at this early stage.

anyone have this experience? the only reason I tested a bottle of each was I was cruising the cider threads and noticed that you had tasted before the recommended aging time so I figured I would see what I had going.

I just started drinking my first batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein a couple days ago. It's going to be hard to keep this in stock. I have another one going but won't be ready to bottle until Dec 3rd. If you have an Ikea near you pick up a bottle of Lingonberry from Concentrate. Add this to you glass to back sweeten just a little. Maybe half a shot to a full shot glass. The flavor is amazing.

Webb5813 said:
I just started drinking my first batch of Ed Worts Apfelwein a couple days ago. It's going to be hard to keep this in stock. I have another one going but won't be ready to bottle until Dec 3rd. If you have an Ikea near you pick up a bottle of Lingonberry from Concentrate. Add this to you glass to back sweeten just a little. Maybe half a shot to a full shot glass. The flavor is amazing.

Sweet! My Dad would love that since we're of Scandinavian ancestry and he loves my local diner because they have Lingonberry pancakes!

Back