DIY Tap Handle, technically < $7.00

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Blue

Reaction score
So, this is my attempt to create a custom tap handle for far less than what I could by already made online. Again, I have a very limited tool supply, so I had to borrow some items. It should also be said that I have ZERO WOODWORKING KNOWLEDGE. So, I had to find things that were mostly pre-assembled, and they had to be easy to work with.

I figured that would severely limit my options (and it did) but I managed to pull it off. It looks good, it works and, dammit, I made it myself. The bonus is, I spent under $22.00 for it. You might spend less, if you have some of the tools and/or paints on hand. The parts themselves are very cheap.

Right, so here&#8217;s what I did.

1. Went shopping.

From the big box hardware shop (blue, not orange) I picked up a table leg and a screw insert.

Artesian 7&#8221; Simple Leg - $2.98
Wood Insert 3/8&#8221; - $1.12

Then, from the big box craft store, I picked up two oval plaques and a dowel.

3&#8221;x5&#8221; Plaque - 2 @ $0.79
36&#8221; x 5/16&#8221; Dowel - $0.59

If you have a drill, paint and glue on hand, you&#8217;re done shopping.

Grand total? $6.27

I needed some other things to finish off the painting and assembly. Here&#8217;s what:

White Krylon Paint - $3.99
Black Enamel - $1.29 (would have just used the black acrylic I had on hand, if doing again)
Graphite Transfer Paper - $1.79
Chalkboard Paint - $1.19
Chip Brush - $0.49 (something disposable)
Mini Sponge Roller - $2.79
Blue Painter&#8217;s Tape - $3.59

With the $6.27 for parts, I spent $21.40. Alright, it wasn&#8217;t a complete bargain when all was said and done, but if I had to make another one, I&#8217;d only need to spend the $6.27 now. Or, I could have just stained it instead of painting. Meh.

2. Chopped off the top of the leg and inserted the wood insert. This required a 1/2" bit to fit, which I was able to borrow. I drilled it slowly, with a pilot hole, and entirely freehand.

3. Glued the plaques together (had a C clamp on hand, borrowed the glue) and drilled a 5/16" hole in that (again, freestyle) and the other side of the leg.

4. Glued these all together and sanded lightly.

5. Very sloppily laid down the white paint.

6. Used the graphite transfer paper to paint on my logo that has also ended up on all my bottles. I also did a base coat of the chalkboard paint.

7. Taped it up and added the brick red accents.

8. Touched up some messy bits, applied more chalkboard paint with the mini roller, and doused the thing in several coats of Dullcoate that I had on hand from miniature painting.

That's it.

Like I said, parts were under $7.00. Where you want to take it from there would be up to you -- the cost to finish would vary greatly. The craft shop also had some other shaped plaques (square, shield, star, heart, etc.) so you could make any number of styles for roughly the same cost.

EDIT: It should also be noted that I spent $0.99 on two pieces of cheap chalk. I went to several different stores that night and nobody had any. WTH? I ended up yanking a piece of highly questionable origin and quality from a Disney Princess (Cardboard) Chalkboard from the local 99 cent store.

Sweet write-up! It's a great idea. I'm going to have to give it a try. :mug:

Back