Stuck Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hialtitude

Reaction score
I brewed this Honey Amber last Mon. and racked it to secondary tonight. I forgot to take a gravity reading until after I racked it (currently drinking barley wine) and saw that it was 1.032 the OG was 1.057. The target OG was 1.040 and FW 1.009. I am obviously way off and it tastes very sweet. Any thoughts/advice? Mabye put it back into the primary for awhile? The airlock stopped bubbling several days ago.

Honey Amber
6.5 lb Amber extract
2 Cups honey
1 lb crystal 10 malt
1.5 oz Hallertauer Hops (bittering)
0.5 oz Hallertaure Hops (aroma)
Wyeast #1056

wow, a lot of possibilities here. . .

I think I'd make sure its at 70 degrees or so, and wait for awhile. It may be slowly going. If it stopped bubbling, are you sure you still have a good air seal?? (I.e., slowly going, but with a small airleak, you don't see the bubbles)

Other thing, was this a first generation yeast? I've had 2nd and 3rd generations stop, then start up again. (Those damned yeasties can be unpredictable).

leastways, I think I'd first RDWHAHB. :mug:

It was fermented at a low temp., about 62-64. At this point I am wondering if it would be better to let it go in the secondary (current location), or put it back on the yeast cake in the primary and hope it doesn't get too oxidized? Or, option #3, continue to drink heavily and say "it is what it is" and whatever fermenter it's in when I wake up is where it will staY!:mug:

I'd ferment at a warmer temp and take a gravity reading after a few days in the secondary. If it doesn't change much, I'd rehydrate some dried yeast and pitch that. That's a lot of honey to not ferment out.

Back