All Grain Ginger Beer Recipe Developement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I searched around the recipes and posts and couldn't really find an all grain version of this. Every recipe seems to be for either soda or extract, so I figure that I would try and get some thoughts together to make this. I had a Ginger Ale when I was in New Zealand at a brewpub called Dux de Lux in Queestown and Christchurch.

I am thinking about making an amberish style. The amber sweetness might be nice with the ginger spice. What do you think?

So here is the base and we will go from there.

Firecrotch Ale

5 gal batch

10lbs 2-Row
1lb Wheat
1lb Crystal 60
.25lb Chocolate

6oz sliced ginger (30min) with skin on for color enhancement and earthiness

hops
US-05

What do we think? Are you interested?

Looks good, my only thoughts are that if you boil ginger, you get rid of that ginger "spice" you seem to want, and you gain a muted back-pallet ginger flavor, perhaps putting the ginger slices in at flame-out, or 2 mins would better preserve that hot ginger spice.

interesting thought there. I originally had 15 min boil, but thought that the longer it went the more spice I would get. Maybe I will get some ginger and boil it in water and see what gets the most back out, 0, 15 or 30 minutes. Thanks for the info

I like that recipe and thanks for pointing it out. I searched like four different ways and forums and recipes, couldn't find any all grain beer that has a ginger flavor. Why do you use the Vienna for it though?

Do the hops get in the way of it at all? That is part of the reason I wanted to go with an Amber, so that it isn't as hoppy and the Ginger shines through with spice. Totally open though for discussion as the only time I had a ginger beer it was towards the end of the night and I remember it like drinking fire! Delicious by the pint, not by the gallon.

You would want to adjust the hops. It is really a highly hopped pale ale with a lot of ginger.

My suggestion would be to find a good amber recipe and add at least 4 oz of fresh ginger root. I shredded it in a food processor (not to a pulp though!!!). You could also use a cheese grater. My beer was in no way hot. I think of you go much more than 8 oz it would get that way.

i have one in primary i started jan 4 - i was also looking for a hotter jamaican style ginger beer.
the first time i used 3 oz fresh ginger sliced at 15 minutes and it was mildly gingery.
this time i used 3 oz shredded fresh with 1.5 oz shredded candied at 15 minutes and am going to dry hop next week with another 3oz shredded and 1.5 oz candied.
this time i also froze the ginger before adding it.
i will let you know in 4 weeks or so if my experiment worked.

I like the OP recipe. I'd mash pretty hot, 154-156 in order to retain some sweetness. the us-05 will dry it out otherwise. I'd also suggest only using bittering hops. I wouldn't want the hops to get in the way of the ginger.

Back