Piney The Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJstout

Reaction score
This is not my recipe, i found it on the internet, supposly its Vinnie from Russian River homebrew recipe for PTE.

12 pounds 2row
8oz Crystal 45 malt
8oz Carapils malt
12oz corn sugar added to boil

3.5oz Columbus hops @ 90 minutes
.75oz Columbus hops @ 45 minutes
1oz Simcoe hops @ 30 minutes
1oz Centennial hops @ 0 minutes
2.5oz Simcoe hops @ 0 minutes

1oz Columbus dryhop
1oz Simcoe dryhop
1oz Centennial dryhop

mash approx 151F for 60minutes

us05 yeast

Yep, it's outstanding and IMO spot on. Although there is one error. It is missing a dry hop addition. The 1st dry hop addition of 1oz each Columbus/Simcoe/Centennial is for 12-14 days. Then there is a 2nd dry hop addition of 0.25oz of Columbus/Simcoe/Centennial the last 5 days.

Also my mash was different. The OG is 1.070 and the FG should be 1.011. This a dry DIPA. I mashed @ 148-149 for 90 mins and I nailed the gravs.

Check out Farmhouse Brewing Suppy, a vendor on here. They sell Pliny packs of the hops for cheap. They sell out frequently though. They also have links to the original Pliny recipe on their site.

Enjoy!

i posted this in the recipe database, did one of the moderators move it to the recipe section? Its a great recipe, i feel it should be part of the database. If a mod did not move it, ill repost it in the database again

Must have been reading my mind. Looking for a good Pliney recipe. Would Nottingham be a better choice instead of the 05? Just thinking out loud.

Pellet hops. As it is you lose a lot of beer to the hops. With whole hops you'd probably lose close to a gallon:eek:

Can't speak to Nottingham. Recipe calls for California Ale yeast.

Back