Keggle - 1st DIY - This forum is dangerous

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KYBrews

Reaction score
I've had a keg laying around for years that I used to use (drum on) in a band that I was in. After looking at this forum for a while I decided to get a angle grinder and turn it into a keggle.

I didn't have enough wood laying around to make a guide so I just decided to free hand it. Besides this keg is a little beat up from being drummed on but it's still sound.

I used the edge of the lip as a guide for the grinder and I think it came out pretty well. I used a cutoff wheel, then grinding wheel, and finally a flap disk to clean it up. After a hit with the bar keepers friend I think it came out pretty well.

I need to make an IC this week but thanks to this forum I don't think it will be too hard. I'm also getting my kit together to do all grain. I've got 2, 5 gallon Gatorade coolers that I'm going to turn into an HLT and Mash ton. This forum is dangerous for the DIY bug.

This weekend I'll be using the old turkey fryer burner and making the extract Red Ale kit from Midwest. Thanks for all of the ideas, tips, and great information that is stored here. Wish me luck.

Keg2.JPG

keg1.JPG

Keg3.JPG

Congrats, i just did the exact same thing on mine today!

I used my angle grinder, with a cutting disc installed, and free-handed it as you did! No guide!

I did use a flap disc to remove any metal that was sticking out and made it smooth.

IMAG0477.jpg

IMAG0478.jpg

Congrats, i just did the exact same thing on mine today!

I used my angle grinder, with a cutting disc installed, and free-handed it as you did! No guide!

I did use a flap disc to remove any metal that was sticking out and made it smooth.

I'd hit that edge up with the flap disc more. If you look closely in that pic you can see some sharp metal on the underside of the edge. I'd hate for you get cut and end up with a bloody brew!

I'd hit that edge up with the flap disc more. If you look closely in that pic you can see some sharp metal on the underside of the edge. I'd hate for you get cut and end up with a bloody brew!

Thanks! I will definately go over it again!

I still have a little more work to do to my keg:

Remove remaining adhesive on exterior (did it today)

polish keg

install 3 piece ball valve and hardware

Thanks Shelby... I will check them out.

Overall the first full boil brew day went very well. The IC worked great (50' of 3/8" OD coper) and the burner worked better than I even hoped. I boiled off a little over 1.5 gallons so I'm going to try with a little less heat next time. The best part is that this is the best that any of my wort has ever tasted. I'm very hopeful for this beer. We'll see in a few weeks.

Thanks again for all of the great info on this forum.

I used a Dremel tool for my keggles. You use a lot of cutoff wheels and it takes a while, but I dig the results. i also used a flappy wheel to make it smooth.

Back