How do you make a beer "bright"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
Just like the thread says. Pliny The Elder, Little Sumpin Sumpin, etc. How do you make a beer bright? Sorry for the short paragraph. On my phone :)

I'm guessing add citrus type hops and not a lot of crystal malt. Sumthin tasted downright juicy to me. Get the final gravity low too, but use late addition hops to get flavor and aroma without the bitterness. That might start you off.

I was thinking a lighter (kinda medium) malt flavor & "C" hops for the citrusy qualities.
My son came over today after he & his buddy went to Thirsty Dog & Hoppin' Frog craft breweries over in Akron. He brought me a fresh bottle of TD's Cerberus. A Belgian style trippel with that amber orange color I love. A lil bit of malt sweetness with a great crispness from whatever hops were used. I always thought that crisp quality in an ale would be good. I just can't re-find the site where I discovered them originally.

A critical factor influencing the 'brightness' of beer flavor is wort pH. If it is too high, there are a number of negative results that occur. One of the biggest is the coarse or rough nature of hop expression produced at higher wort pH. Keeping the pre-boil wort pH below 5.4 is critical. Starting with a pre-boil wort pH in the 5.2 to 5.4 range is ideal.

The main thing that creates higher than desirable wort pH is excessive alkalinity in the water source. Be sure to find out what your water alkalinity is and how to treat it.

I love Sumpin Sumpin...I think the wheat in the grist keeps the malt profile low and lets the hops shine....I brewed a batch w/ around 30-40% wheat and was pleased.

As said above, too much crystal acts like a hop eraser IME...kinda like a little sugar in a bitter espresso coffee totally changes the coffee.

Back