13+ gallon glass carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxyzptlk

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently picked up a 13+ gallon green glass
carboy from goodwill.
It is missing a stopper. The opening is quite a bit larger than that of a standard 5 to 6 1/2 gallon carboy = any idea where I might be able to find a stopper for this?

I'd be more concerned about transporting that huge thing!!!!

I'd e-mail someone like morebeer to see if they stock something that big. Possibly a shop that specializes in wine could also help.

A #7 stopper is for 5 and 6.5 carboys and is 1 3/16" to 1 8/16". Measure the opening and pick the size needed. Every LHBS should have them, as well as most online HBS as well:

#8 : 1 5/16" to 1 10/16"
#8.5 : 1 7/16" to 1 3/4"
#9 : 1 8/16" to 1 13/16"
#9.5 : 1 9/16" to 1 7/8"
#10 : 1 11/16" to 2"
#10.5 : 1 11/16" to 2"
#11 : 1 13/16" to 2 2/16"
#12 : 2 2/16" to 2 9/16"
#13 : 2 5/16" to 2 11/16"

Good luck!

You can probably get it from http://www.sciplus.com/stores.cfm too. It's a store just down the street from me I used to hang out at A LOT when I was looking into building a pot still to make my own whiskey.

They have just about every wierd thing under the sun in that store, not to mention all the glass ware or lab stuff you could imagine

Hi, I had a green jug but I broke it. It came with a porcelain stopper with a gum rubber gasket. I may still have the stopper somewhere. It won’t help much for brewing but this is old stuff and may be more valuable as a complete set. My jug was dated 1920. There were bubbles and imperfections in the glass. It was very obvious that this was old. If you can't locate a rubber stopper at you LHBS, try Chemical Lab supply.

Sounds like a wine making demijohn to me. They make them from 1 gal to bigger than a barrel. By chance did it come in a big wicker basket? Regardless, they make some huge stoppers in both rubber and silicone for those things some solid, some drilled for an airlock, and some with a little flapper valve built in (kind of an airlock substitute). Look for a LHBS or online supplier that carries the larger wine making equipment and you'll find what you're looking for there. BTW, I use one of those large stoppers as a bung replacement in my Hoff-Stevens based keggle BK.

Back