Yeast/Fermentation question or issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stussy2870

Reaction score
Hey guys,

First of all, many thanks to everone who has helped out in any thread, i read as many as i can and always appreciate the fact that no one here flames anyone for asking silly questions etc..

so with that said.. onto mine :)

In the process of preparing/brewing my second batch since October. First batch was Octoberfest, i had some issues w/ it but it turned out pretty good overall. Different thread no need to rehash. Anyway onto the current issue-

True Brew Nut Brown Ale "kit":
Followed instructions and everything to my suprise went absolutely perfectly. Color looked great, taste sample was delicious. so whats the problem you ask?? No Bubbles :(

The wort?? has been in the primary fermenter for almost 48hours- i've spot checked it about 6 times and not once did i see anything happening. Im concerned that i may have bad Yeast or that i may be trying to ferment at too low of a temp... (60 degrees F)?

How concerned should i be? Should i get more yeast? If so, how much etc? or should i just wait longer?

Thanks again everyone.

The yeast that came with the kit- I believe it was "Ale Yeast" it was Dry but thats about all i can remember :( sorry.

Took a reading right before adding the yeast Temps were around 70 degrees. It was on the high side per the kit's #'s, It was right about 1.058

Would it matter that i used Ice Water to cool the Wort?
Process was:
2.5 Gallons COLD tap water in the bucket then i slowly added the wort then i added an additonal 2/3 gallon ice/water to bring me to the 5gallon line.

Take another hydrometer reading to see if it's changing. You might need to move it to a warmer area.

What is the recommended temperature range of your yeast? You may be at too low a temp and want to move your fermenter to a warmer room. If the temp of your wort was within the range of your yeast when you pitched, it should not matter that you used ice water to cool your wort.

Try warming it up to about 68° or so. It may be a little chilly for the yeasties to do their "thing". Of course it all depends on your particular yeast but from my very limited experience most ale yeasts like the upper 60's for their optimum range.

I would give it a few more days before checking the gravity(prime chance for infection each time you touch the wort) if your gravity has not changed from the OG then you may have to investigate further! One concern is when you added the cold water, did you stir thoroughly? When you mix liquids of different densities you need to mix very thouroughly cause they do not want to mix naturally. A gentle stir for at least 5 minutes then check your temps and gravity!

just my opinions, good luck!

That yeast is Munton's dry, I'm pretty sure, which isn't anyone's favorite. I don't think it will work well at 60 degrees.

Hey everyone-- I had to head out of town for a few days, anyway im back and it looks like the beer has done its "thing". Theres a lot of foam/head in the carboy and as of this morning there are a steady flow - slow like 1 per 3-5 seconds- of bubbles. Im assuming that seeing the foam and slow bubbles that while i was away the beer fermented - at least partially seeing as there are still some bubbles its obviously not finished :)

So, the temps were a steady 60 degrees and yeah i think im going to have to try a new place for the next batch or get yeast that work better in lower temps if thats even available. Problem that im going to have is the wifey.. haha.. im sure she doesnt want a beer bucket in her living room.. :(

Couple more easy questions..
Should i still move it to warmer temps? If shes still bubbling i need to let it finish right? Also, any chance of it going bad/spoiling? Its been fermenting for a total of 8 days at this point.

Problem that im going to have is the wifey.. haha.. im sure she doesnt want a beer bucket in her living room.. :(

Just put a T-shirt on the fermenter. Voila! Your unsightly bucket is now unobtrusive company.

It will ferment slower at a lower temperature but it will also ferment more cleanly, so less yeast character or esters will be present.

As an FYI -- it is generally not a good idea to add ice from an icemaker/ice cube tray/purchased ice because they are generally not sanitized. If you want to sanitize some tupperware and freeze boiled water in them that would be fine but you don't otherwise know what bacteria/mold/wild yeast might get into the water or ice system.

I think i have a problem:

Fermentation has been SUPER Slow. Im still getting bubbles 10 days after starting fermentation, one every 4-5 seconds but..and im hoping you all can answer...The foam inside the carboy came up into the airlock. The water was discolored etc. So i pulled the rubber gromet and airlock off to clean it out and in the process i "tasted" that foam- it was AWEFUL, i dont know how else to explain that taste. Extremely bitter, even sour...

Now, im not in the habbit of tasting that foaming substance but since this beer has been going anything but smooth i thought why not..

anyway- Has anyone done that?? Is the taste normal or does it sound like its bad? There is no "odor"...actually the smell is beer-like... I dont want to waste this batch but i want to get new stuff started if this is junk..

thanks again everyone.

I think i have a problem:

You probably don't. You started cold, then warmed it up. 10 days is nothing to freak out over. Fermentation can take way longer than that.

And the krauesen tasting bad is no surprise. Lots of trub and hop particles are in the foam. I would be surprised if any krauesen tasted good.

And, upon more reflection I have to ask, what the hell are you doing tasting it anyway? It looks nasty, right? :)

:)

Actually i never did move it. Just left it in the basement holding steady at 60 degrees. Dont know why i tasted it, didnt really expect it to taste like anything. I suppose i subconciously thought it similar to the head of a beer...Lesson truly learned.

Should i be concerned with the foam making its way into the airlock? it cant get back into the beer can it? The water in the airlock is straight out of the basement laundry tap...not sure i'd be drinking from that faucet..

I will let her go... until the next potential disaster..

Paul

Don't worry. Do you use starsan? If so, clean the airlock and fill it with starsan and water solution, then put it back on. If not, you could use vodka. The idea is you don't want anything living in your airlock.

Hey guys..
Ok- so the batch is brewed and truth be told 1/4 of the way consumed :). Anyway, there are a few things about it that im not sure about and wanted to ask some more ?'s :)

ok-
First, the color.. holy cow, its nearly black..So much for Nut Brown
Second, its still a little bit on the bitter side. When i think Nut Brown Ale, i thing Newcastle.. Not even close with this batch.

Its bitter but by all means drinkable. I can taste the flavors that are supposed to be there but i still get a little too much bitter in the aftertaste. Any thoughts on why that happend? Any reccomendations on the next batch - ingredients etc???

thanks guys!

Give it more time. How much time has it been . Its too early to decide how it will taste it will change over the course of a week to months. It will mellow out and be a differnet beer once its conditioned and carbed.

Back