Beer temp changes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoaxci5

Reaction score
I've read some articles, but just want to be clear. Temp fluctuation will change the taste of beers but will not overall hurt it correct?

I'm talking about taking some beer from my keg which is carbed and tasting delicious, and bottling it. Then letting the bottles go back to room temp for any period of time prior to chilling and drinking at a later date.

Do it or don't?

I don't believe it will last long like that. If you want to have it in bottles you should bottle some prior to kegging the batch.

That "beer gun" setup is what I use, but it talks about putting the bottles in the fridge. I don't have that much extra space, so I was hoping to store them back at room temp for a while.

All of the skunking articles that I read said that is only a factor caused by light and not by temp. I just want some more real world examples and someone to hold my hand and say yes it will be fine so I don't waste a bunch of good beer :)

I'm doing a similar process to what you want to do and had the same questions. I have tried some short term testing but nothing definitive. I had a cream ale I force carbed in the keg at 36 degrees, bottled, and set some on the shelf for about a month. I put the bottles back in the fridge for a week and tried them and I couldn't tell the difference between the ones I put on the shelf and the ones I kept in the fridge.

I've been told avoid higher storage temps, such as higher than 80 degrees when storing any beer. One person I spoke to seemed to think the warmer temps could allow the yeast to create esters or other off flavors if there is still some unfermented sugars to consume.

I also wouldn't store any wheat beers for any period of time as they seem to be best when fresh, not aged.

Back