Belgian Raspberry Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonD13

Reaction score
Someone asked for this, so here goes.

This is my first recipe posting, and I'm not at my brew-house so I don't have hard numbers handy so this is from memory, but I'll update later:

5gal batch, full boil from 6gal.

Partial mash of 4 pounds crushed 2 row Breiss + 1 pound crystal for 30 mins @160F.

Add 8 pounds light DME & bring to a boil. Add 8 pounds frozen raspberries and 1oz hallertau pellets.

Boil for 55 minutes, then add 2 more pounds of frozen rasberries.

Bring back to a boil for 5 minutes, then chill to 70F

Check gravity, and rack into sanitized carboy and oxegenate/aerate via your usual method (I just sloshed the fermenter a bit) and pitch Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II smack-pack.

IMPORTANT: Use a blowoff hose with this brew, as our first batch had rasberry seeds clog the airlock, and caused a bright red rasberry volcano all over the dark corner of the living room we were fermenting in, as well as a spoiled batch of expensive ale.

We fermented in the primary for 2 weeks @ 70F with a fermwrap and temp controller. We then racked to a secondary, and pitched the last 2 inches of a bottle of Lindemans Fraboise after swirling it to break up the settled yeast. We then forgot about it for about 2 months (long story, but my brew partner and I both work 60-80 hours/week in the summer).

Primed with 1lb wheat DME and bottled half in bottles, the other half in Tap-a-Draft bottles, and left to carbonate for another 2 weeks.

Final result was an 8.5%abv ale that tastes as tart and crisp as fresh raspberries. Well carbonated, and ruby red in color with a slightly pink head. This is my favorite brew I've made so far, and will definitely do it again, perhaps this winter when I have more time to brew.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Later,
Don

Back