Drill bit to use for tap holes in a collar for keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenjaminJonah

Reaction score
I have been looking but I cannot find what size drillbit to use to drill for the tap holes in a collar im building. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben:rockin:

Correct! I used a 7/8 spade bit and its perfectly snug. A tip for the spade bit is to place some wood under the board you are drilling so you get clean entry/exit holes. Pretty much drill through your collar board and continue to drill through into your backing board a bit then you can back it off. Drilling pilot holes as center marks will help you as well if you would prefer to spade drill down half of your hole from one side; then flip it over and drill it out from the other side.

One more question. I know some people put fans in keezers. Is this necessary? I guess I dont understand what type of difference it actually makes in anything.

People who put towers on them use fans to keep the beer up in the tower cool.

You can also put a fan in a collared keezer if you are worried about the cold air stratifying. Some of it depends on where your temp sensor is. If the sensor is at the top, the beer at the bottom (where you are drawing from) will be several degrees colder than the set temp. If the temp sensors at the bottom, you get the opposite (warmer beer at the top of the kegs). I figure most people without fans just put the sensor in the middle and aim for the best, then adjust if necessary.

I guess a fan would also help if your shanks were getting warm and you were getting more foam in your beer than you wanted. I probably wouldn't worry about it at first, and if you decide you want one you can make one pretty easy out of a computer fan.

Back