Dry hop in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BetterSense

Reaction score
I have a gallon of beer (my batch runneth over) that was supposed to be dry-hopped. However, i don't feel like waiting another week to dry hop it. I was thinking about trying to just drop 1 hop pellet in each bottle when I bottle it. Has anyone ever done that?

I've never done it, if you bottle condition you are going to have yeast settle out anyway and eventually the hop particles would settle out too - 3-6 weeks I would think should see them down on the bottom.
I see no problem with doing this if you are careful with your pours( leave the last ounce or two in the bottle with the yeast sediment.

I would probably use more than one pellet though, I usually dry hop with no less than two ounces per 5 gallon batch.

My only concern would be that the beer would take on a vegetal taste after 3-5 weeks of bottle conditioning with the pellets. As far as the pellets go, they will indeed drop out after the bottles have been cold conditioned.

I've actually wanted to experiment with this before, as well. Let us know if you do it, and report your tasting notes.

I've gotten some hops in bottles near the end of bottling and had some gushers, the hops make nucleation sites for the co2. I always mark the caps of bottles I think might be suspect, e.g. First. might get too much air, last air + random junk, or partial fill.

My only concern would be that the beer would take on a vegetal taste after 3-5 weeks of bottle conditioning with the pellets. As far as the pellets go, they will indeed drop out after the bottles have been cold conditioned.

I've actually wanted to experiment with this before, as well. Let us know if you do it, and report your tasting notes.

I have never had a vegetable/grassy taste from dry hopping long term, I keep kegs on the gas in my fridge for months, with bags of hops in them - both pellets and whole flowers.

I've gotten some hops in bottles near the end of bottling and had some gushers, the hops make nucleation sites for the co2. I always mark the caps of bottles I think might be suspect, e.g. First. Might get too much air, last air + random junk, or partial fill.
That makes sense.

I have never had a vegetable/grassy taste from dry hopping long term, I keep kegs on the gas in my fridge for months, with bags of hops in them - both pellets and whole flowers.

Good to know, but I wonder how that might differ in a bottle that's conditioning at 65f-75f for weeks...

Back