IPA recipe(s) critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShemRahBoo

Reaction score
In order to do a full boil I want to do two 2.5 gallon IPA batches. What I am looking for are hop aggressive in your face IPAs. Not mouth puckering bitterness, but more of the hop punch/flavor characteristics. I also want to experiment with two hop profiles. To do so I am going to use the same base recipe, just different hopping schedules. (remember these are 2.5 gallon recipes)

3.5# extra light DME
.25# 40L crystal (steep)
.5# table sugar

.5oz centennial (60 min)
.5oz centennial / .5oz simcoe (10 min)
.5oz centennial / .5oz simcoe (5 min)
.5oz centennial / .5oz simcoe (flameout)
1oz centennial (dryhop)

.5oz simcoe (60 min)
1oz citra (10 min)
.5oz simcoe / .5oz citra (5 min)
.5oz simcoe / .5oz citra (flameout)
1oz citra (dryhop)

IBU's on both to around 75. Going to use US-05. Is this too much sugar? I want good attenuation and a dry finish. Also what do you think about the hops. Too much? Too little? Overall recommendations are needed, I really want two great IPA's whose flavor stands up to quality commercial examples.

They're definitely late-hop heavy! I know the math is easy this way and you are trying to avoid too much bitterness, but I would move the 10 min up to 20-30 min. You are going to get more bitterness that way, but you are also going to get more true hop flavor than just aroma. It would mean you might want to back off some on the hops. You have the equivalent of 9 oz hops / 5 gallons. Even backing off to 7 oz. /5 gallons (or 3.5 oz in your recipes) would still be pretty hop heavy overall. Maybe just move the 10 min add't to 20 min and drop the 5 min all together.

just my $.02

I keep getting too much mixed advice. I am seeking the hop punch you see in Racer 5, ruination, smutty, etc... (I know these are pretty different, just throwing examples of hop aggressive beers). How many hops overall is an amount good for this, and what is the ideal split between early/late boil.

Back