When to rack my mead.....Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserz28

Reaction score
I just have a simple question. When would one rack their mead from the primary to the secondary? Is it after it is completely done fermenting or would you want to pull it off of the yeast earlier for chance of an off taste? I know on Highest FAQ's he said to rack 3 times 60 days apart or something like that. Any advice?

When its done. If you rack before you risk it sticking and if it does that with most of the sugars consumed it can be a bugger to restart if at all.

The only time I rack at that stage is when I'm putting fruit in, say about the 1.020 mark but then I swirl the fermenter to bring the sediment into suspension first then rack I certainly don't take it off the mead till then.

I usually rack mine at a SG of 1.010-1.020 . My reasoning is that I know I'm usually not going to have it filled up all the way to the neck of my carboy, so I want the end of the fermentation to take care of purging the head space with a little more CO2. There is always enough yeast suspended in the mead at this point to finish the job, if you've added the nutrients accordingly.

After that I rack every two months till there is no more sediment, and then wait for a convenient time to bottle.

Back