Priming Sugar Debacle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrew82

Reaction score
We bottled a 1.5 gallon batch of Pale Ale and screwed up the amount of priming sugar we used (probably because we were having a few home brews).

We have have 16 bottled beers, but we realized after we put them away to condition, that we did not put in enough priming sugar.

We put in 2 tsps for 1.5 gallons. But we think we should have put in about 10 tsps.

Can we fix this? Or will be get something that is fairly carbonated?

thanks.

http://brewblogger.net/index.php?page=tools&section=sugar

Check this link out, you have to input the volume of beer, the temp the beer will be stored, the level, or volume of carbonation your type of beer requires. At the bottom of page you will notice it gives you suggestions for the carbonation levels based on style. This should help for the future, I'm not sure what's to tell you to do now, but I would likely open them up, put come fizz drops in, and re-cap them.

Based off of my priming sugar calculator (link in my sig), I'm looking at a little over nine teaspoons (specs actually say .19 cups of corn sugar, and 48 teaspoons in a cup... .19 * 48 = 9.12 tsp).

Carb drops may be the best fix. Or, you could boil up another ~7 tsp in a very small amount of water, then cool it. Use a dropper/medicine syringe to squirt equal parts into every bottle.

Thanks for the tips. We ended up uncapping and adding a few tablets to each bottle. Not the way we wanted it to go but hoping the end product is carbonated enough. It tasted great before we bottled.

Back