Bad ass Fermenter hasles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vertigo

Reaction score
I have two fermenters at home. One of which I haven't had any problems with, but the other one is driving me crazy. Everytime I use this fermenter I alway get a yeast coloured deposit sitting on the inside of the lid of the container.

I put this brew on yesterday at about 5:30 pm and checked it today. Yeast colour mess was every where. The airlock was next empty and the fermentation process appears to be continuing any way after I refilled the airlock again

recipe is as follows:

1 - Coppers Larger concentrate (using the yeast from the can)
2kg - Dexrose
2 litres - boiled water
28 litlres - cold tap water
2 bottles of beer (for Me)

Additional information: OG 32 I tested the brew today SG 18

How the only differences I can observe is that the airlocks are different designs. One of the airlocks is a rounded shape, where as the other one is a V shaped airlock. The V shaped airlock is giving me the problems.

Are you fermenting at the right temperature? The yeast used determines the temperature needed. Generally ales ferment at 66F to 67F and lagers at 51F to 52F. Use Blow off tubes from now on. They do not have problems if they are big enough diameter tubing.

Are you fermenting at the right temperature?
The instruction suggest to keep within 18C to27 C. Generally about 22C to 25C. I just don't understand why this frementer is so bad. I scrubbed the hell out of the frementer and santized the frementer for about half hour. The only thing I did differently was to use Vodka in the airlock, instead of water. I'm going to put a new batch on tomorrow and see what happens. I'll report back. Thanks

Keep fermentation as close to 19C or 66F as possible and if you are using good sanitary practices you will make a good beer. Danstar Nottingham and Safale 05 are good ale yeasts. You should boil anything that goes into the beer all at one time for at least 1 hour to get good hop bittering and to make it sanitary. You can add the malt in the last 15 minutes of the boil. If you use fresh hops and unhopped malt you will get much better hop flavor. Cool your wort to 80F or less as quickly as you can and pitch the yeast after the beer is in the fermenter. Anything that touches the beer after the boil must be sanitized with a suitable sanitizer such as Starsan made by 5 star chemicals.

Thanks WBC,

At the moment I'm using Iodophor Sanitiser for all my stuff. I usually let the frementer drain of about half an hour (covered)
if you are using good sanitary practices you will make a good beer.
I think that my sanitary practices are pretty good. I uses to work in kitchens as professional chef for 10 years, but I got sick and tired for bitching to other chefs about their crap hygine habits, or there lack of any.

I think that I have found the problem with that dam Frementer. I have taken both frementer apart completely, just to examine the frementers componets for any signs of weakness, or anything that might give me some insight to the problem.
To my supprise the frementer in question had a seal that had been open to contamination risks, NOT HAPPY JANE. Now both frementers and there parts are in solution for a couple of days.

Thank again,

LOL

My first brew was also a Cooper's Lager kit and given what I've learned since then, I think Coopers cheats and includes an ale yeast because the temps in the instructions are unusually high for a lager.
Back to the original question, why is the stain a big deal? As long as you sanitize the surface, it won't hurt anything.

"Not happy Jane??"

Never heard that expression...but I like it!
The quote comes from an ad on TV in Australia, as far as I remember it was a Phone company that started it.
Back to the original question, why is the stain a big deal? As long as you sanitize the surface, it won't hurt anything.
Cool stuff. I was thinking that the brew might be hospital material, but I wasn't sure. I guess I'll find out sooner, or later :p.

I did however stop the frementation process completely by decantering the brew into a container and placing it in the cooler. I have just bottled the batch today....fingers crossed, that I get trashed, or well drunk from it anyway. My next batch is due Monday avo. I'm think'n that I'm looking at a low vol content, but very clear and highly carby beer.

Edited:
I had BBQ on Sunday. I spotted a long neck in the cooler (4 weeks old), so I figured (The prefect time to crack open a home brew) To my supprise my friend who brews his own.....(dots, because I can't think of anything nice to say, well about my friend) he cracked my beer open like he'd never opened a bottle in his life. ???hole. Well at least he didn't insult me more with "That tastes crap", or "WTF is that". Needless to say, he isn't invited again.

Your recipe:

recipe is as follows:

1 - Coppers Larger concentrate (using the yeast from the can)
2kg - Dexrose
2 litres - boiled water
28 litlres - cold tap water
2 bottles of beer (for Me)

Is different from the recommended and perhaps that may be contributing to the issue.

If I recall correctly the standard recipe is:

1 1.7kg can of Cooper's Lager concentrate
1kg of Dextrose or alternatives
2 litres of very hot (boiling water)
When mixed: make volume up to a total of 23 litres (ie add about 20 litres of water)

I fully agree with the two bottles of beer for me bit :mug:

How big is your fermenter? Obviously it is bigger than the basic Coopers kit since I think it would be very full or beyond with 30 plus litres in your recipe.

PS I think the actual expression is "Not Happy, Jan" and you are correct it was a 2002 Telstra/Yellow Pages (telephone company) commercial

Thanks Fred,
My frementers are two 30L, plus I have one 20L container with tap and one 10L without a tap.
I fully agree with the two bottles of beer for me bit
yeah, I would mind if the government made such a law for homebrewers.
PS I think the actual expression is "Not Happy, Jan" and you are correct it was a 2002 Telstra/Yellow Pages (telephone company) commercial
Oh well I was close to the marketing area. I just couldn't remember if was Telstra, or Yellow pages, so I figured play it safe.. I don't want to piss off any Telstra employees..yet

Latest posts

Back