favorite extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garym

Reaction score
im just wondering what everyone here likes for liquid extract? i use muntons quite abit.but have to say alexanders gets my vote, if im doing a wheat.
how about everyone else?
:mug:

I haven't had much sucess with liquid, kept ending up with the "twang" I haven't used it at my new LHBS which seems to have a bigger customer base, so things might be better. Right now I exclusively use DME and specialty grains.

I haven't done a lot of quality testing on them, but I like Listermann.com's bulk LME. At $2.15/lb, it gets the job done. I don't use it in large proportions...it's just for my mostly-mashes that I sometimes do just to avoid having to sparge lots of grain and boil for longer because of it. But using LME in large proportion isn't recommended. If you do go dry, don't use Laaglander. That stuff is about as fermentable as my nutsac hair. :mad:

I use the bulk from my LBHS and have had no problems. I've used canned Coopers from a couple of kits and haven't noticed any real discernable difference.

I'm using a canned Coopers right now, just got it in the primary not but 5 minutes ago, its a pilsner. First time I've used one of these canned contraptions, so here's to hoping its a good one. I must say, it did smell some good. Anyone else used Coopers? The only reason I used it was when I went into the hb shop here (I just moved here) its all they had! They were mostly focused on the wines, so they just had a bunch of Coopers cans. Any opinions? Good, bad? Any way to spice it up a bit?

Cass

DeathBrewer said:
briess wheat dme is pretty bad too. not sure about the rest of their stuff. i'm a muntons dme fan :)

I think Briess Pilsner DME is excellent, very ferementable.

Ive had good luck with morebeer.com's lme... their turnover is pretty high i think, so the extract is always pretty fresh. plus you can order specific quantities other than 3.3 pounds. Breiss has treated me allright as well. never done an all dme receipe...first one's planned for this weekend!

Back