Boiled my racking tube. No longer clear.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looneybomber

Reaction score
Well, tonight I finally did my first 5gal batch using equipment I bought 2nd hand. I noticed the racking tubing had a couple spots of dried beer in it, so I stuck it in a pot to boil for about 20 min to loosen everything up in order to rinse it clean. Well, 20 min later, it went from transparent to opaque...Oh well...

Just a heads-up for anyone who was going to do this.

Unless it's made of polycarbonate - which it probably isn't, more likely is acrylic - it's definitely not good past 200 degrees Fahrenheit (and that's a serious stretch). You need to use chemical sanitizers like StarSan to sanitize these rather than boiling them.

Sharp temerature changes to plastics like these will lead to cracks (or microcracks which you may not see) which will harbor bacteria that is not curable by surface disinfectants like StarSan, Iodophor, bleach, etc.

Summary: high temps bad, temperature swings bad, cracks bad, microcracks bad, chemical surface disinfectants good if there are no cracks.

The starsan was not getting the dried beer out, so hopefully the tubing is OK. I'll need it again in a couple weeks.

Yup, the heat causes conformation changes in the molecular structure of the plastic so instead of an ordered macro structure that would let light through, the molecules are all twisted and jumbled now making it opaque.

Just in case anyone was wondering about the chemistry of it :3

looneybomber said:
The starsan was not getting the dried beer out, so hopefully the tubing is OK. I'll need it again in a couple weeks.

Tubing is cheap! Retire the boiled piece and swing by your LHBS and grab some more. I usually try to keep some extra around, just in case.

To clean up the died on bits, soak in Oxyclean for a little while. It just dissolves those bits and then a good rinse, and Starsan just before use.

Tubing is cheap! Retire the boiled piece and swing by your LHBS and grab some more. I usually try to keep some extra around, just in case.
The nearest one is ~30mi away and only open at weird times. I have a 30min windows on Monday's (between when I get off work and they close) to make it. So maybe in 2wks I can make it in.

To clean up the died on bits, soak in Oxyclean for a little while. It just dissolves those bits and then a good rinse, and Starsan just before use.

Now that is good to know. Thanks!

Buy one online. Probably including shipping it would not be much more that at the LHBS. Plus you're not paying for the gas to get to the LHBS.

I bought a little giant pump that I hook onto the tubing and circulate pbw or oxyclean through. Works like a charm and takes no work at all.

However, I broke like 3 of those canes in a row trying to take the tubing off, so I decided to finally upgrade to a stainless cane.

Yup, the heat causes conformation changes in the molecular structure of the plastic so instead of an ordered macro structure that would let light through, the molecules are all twisted and jumbled now making it opaque.

Just in case anyone was wondering about the chemistry of it :3

hell yes. and this is why i love brewing. are there any of us that AREN'T nerds???

Are you talking about tubing, or the hard racking cane itself?

and just for future reference, Oxy Clean for cleaning, star san for sanitizing.

Star-san is a sanitizer not a cleaner.

True, but if you mix it a bit stronger than you would for sanitizing the high acid content does amazing things that no cleaner will do. It only works on certain things, though. YMMV

Back