DME substitute for sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dowhatitdo

Reaction score
Would it be possible to use dry malt extract in place of table sugar? It still creates a simple syrup either way, just with more flavor. Id use a light DME, used normally for yeast starters bc it makes a low gravity wort to jump start the yeast. I figured it would do the same for a scoby since its eating the sugar. Just not sure about extras that might harm a scoby n the DME. Any advice welcome! I'll still try anyways bc its so cheap to experiment.

That is a good question, I never would have thought to use DME. I love the creativity and I think it would be a cool experiment. If I had any active SCOBYs I would try this out but I dehydrated all my backups. let us know how it turns out.

Ryan

Yes curious how it turned out? I am thinking in small amounts it would work. I have tried things like molasses, rapadura, sucanat, and all those, if too much is used in proportion to a more refined sugar source seem to make the brew extremely bitter and acrid.

Back