ESB with British ale 2 and London ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discgolfin

Reaction score
I brewed up 10 gallons of my ESB recipe..close to Jamils with a bit more hop. The British ale 5 gallons turned out good..However the London ESB 5 gallons had DMS and Diacytal. Flavor is ok but the aroma is strong..Anyone else find this in this strain?

fermentation was the same in both 66-68 3 weeks in primary..crash cool and keg.

Jay

I have always found wy1335 to be a bit bland for most English strains in terms of flavor, though 1968 can be a bit much for some at higher temps. And 1968 will produce some diacetyl if you let it, though I have never had problems with it producing DMS... the causes of DMS are usually bacterial infection and not boiling hard/long enough.

I have a cream ale with 1335 in it that's going to be bottled up this week... I've not used 1968 yet... Looking at the info on 1968, I probably would have let it go a bit longer, or until it was ready before kegging it up...

A very good cask conditioned ale strain, this extremely flocculant yeast produces distinctly malty beers. Attenuation levels are typically less than most other yeast strains which results in a slightly sweeter finish. Ales produced with this strain tend to be fruity, increasingly so with higher fermentation temperatures of 70-74°F (21-23° C). A thorough diacetyl rest is recommended after fermentation is complete. Bright beers are easily achieved within days without any filtration.

You might just be tasting what the yeast is supposed to give the brew...

Just out of curiosity, what were you expecting from the part you used 1968 in?

Back