How dead is a dead hops plant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thayne

Reaction score
I had my plants come in and I am sure it was user error but it looks like a few of them did not make it. Do the Rhizoms stay alive longer then the plant itself or if the plant is dead so is the Rhizom?

Thanks!!

My wife's hobby is killing of my new hop rhizomes- over fertilizing or over watering (I am a road warrior for my job, so I can't do it myself all the time). They have never come back.

However, once they do grow, they appear to be extremely hardy.

That was my guess. I was just hoping that was not the truth. Well time to try again! Thanks

That was my guess. I was just hoping that was not the truth. Well time to try again! Thanks

I intentionally over bought rhizomes (4 of each variety) with hopes of establishing half as many, and I actually did better than half. The next few years will be helping them proliferate and take over the beds they are in (separate beds for different varieties). My wife is not allowed in the garden except to harvest; she is a "black thumb".

Also if your chickens dig them up either before or after they begin to grow they are also dead!!!! Free chickens anyone?

Free chickens you say? egg layers or roasters?

The green growth isnt really any indication of the rhizomes health in my opinion. I've had some terrible looking plants that spring back to life once planted. I had a rhizome in a planter that would never sprout so I dug it out and I saw that it had little sprouts that had begun to grow but then rotted, the whole thing looked waterlogged and dead (the pot didnt have very good drainage apparently) so I pretty much had no hope for it but I planted it in a corner of the yard anyways and forgot about it. Low and behold a few weeks later that sucker was showing sprouts. I'd say dont give up on it, just put it somehwhere in your yard and forget about it...

They all came from the same place but I think it was the time shipping and me getting home at 10 from work everyday. I have been keeping a eye on them and watering them and I am at about 50% now and I think they will all but a few make it. These plants are kindof tuff S.O.B's.

I ordered a few hop starts that arrived dried out in the box... and they look as if they've died completely after being in planters for a week.

However, I'll report back if they survive. Otherwise this is another failed year for me... and to think I spent so much money going with starts instead of rhizomes :(

Latest posts

Back