Can a REALLY skunky beer hurt you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimeye01

Reaction score
I've been fermenting a poorly boiled brown ale for over 1.5 years and finally kegged it. I didn't have hopes that it would actually taste good however I want to make sure there is no potential for physical illness.

Any ideas about this?

Why would it be skunky? You didn't mention anything about light exposure. I think it's widely believed that no human pathogens can reproduce in beer (of the few that can live). Beer is safe to drink. It may not always taste good, but I don't think there's any reason to think it will harm you.

You ever drink Corona? Thats skunky! No you should be fine. No pathogens can live in beer. May taste bad from oxydation maybe, but it won't kill you. Or it might even be really good. Guess you won't know until you try it.

beerloaf

Nothing Pathogenic can exist in beer. Even infected beer (which is not what skunky is) can't harm you. It may be unpleasant to drink, or even to smell, but it couldn't hurt you. The magic of fermentation is that, due to everything from the boil, to the addition of hops to fermentation makes beer safe to drink, often safer that the water it was made with.

This is good information to know. Thanks!

FYI: I tried it last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I was prepared for. In fact, I rather like it.

Back