First time Scotch Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patirck

Reaction score
I am about to brew a scotch ale for the first time and wanted to get opinions from people who are familiar with the style. I am planning on mashing at 155 for 60 minutes and doing a 90 or 120 minute boil to get some kettle carmelization. I plan on primary in a bucket for 2 - 4 weeks at 65* and then secondary in the serving keg for as long as I can hold off drinking it (probably a few months or longer if my current stuff lasts).

Grain bill:

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
85% 15 0 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 37 3
6% 1 0 Biscuit Malt 36 23
6% 1 0 English Crystal, 50-60 L 34 55
3% 0 8 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 33 2
1% 0 4 Roasted Barley (Thomas Fawcett) 34 609
17 12

Hops
1.19 OZ Goldings 5.9%AA

Wyeast 1728 Scotch ale yeast in a 1.7L starter (stir plate for 48 hours).

According to beercalculus I should hit about 1.075 with my expected crappy efficiency and I should have a color of 22 (dark brown).

Any other tips for making this style?

Maybe use golden promise instead of marris otter to stay more true to style? not a huge deal i guess. Looks good

I just made a 3 gallon batch of wee heavy scottish ale about a month ago. I used 8 pounds of 2 row and .25 pounds of chocolate. Northern Brewer hops and 1728 yeast with a similar sized starter.

Mine turned out excellent - this was my third wee heavy, and it's my favorite of the lot. I think upping the percentage of chocolate malt helped it a lot.

Mashed at 153 for a little over an hour. I don't remember my exact boil time - I was trying to boil it down to three gallons. It was probably around 90 minutes.

Back