Listen up Online suppliers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If you expect to get my business, I would recommend answering PM's.
I know you are busy, and have a lot of work to do. I also know that your time is worth a lot more than answering some noob's questions. I know that certain things come up that take priority over other things. I know that you just dont have enough time to answer everyone. 2 weeks is a little long though without hearing a thing.
HOWEVER, if you are too busy, and overworked to answer some questions, then I will be forced to shop and spend about $1000.00, to start this wonderful hobby, at a different online source.

The family relatives that also brew, and anyone else, will also be notified of this, and will recieve a recommendation of where, and where NOT to buy.

I retract the above underlined statement, it is harsh, and unjust. I apologize.

I know this statement will make some people unhappy, and oh well. I am venting my opinion, and stand by it.

By the way, your prices were not that great anyways.
Rant over.

If you have a question that requires immediate attention, pick up the phone and call them. Pretty sure that every online supplier of note's got an 800#.

Who are you ranting at and why are your choosing this as the venue for a rant to online supplier? Why not contact them directly? I don't get it, unless you are the owner of a LHBS and think this will stop us from doing cyber business.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop here. Who frequents this board that runs an online home brew supply shop?

All the online suppliers that I've worked with have been great about answering their telephone and/or replying to email within the day.

I've dealt with: Midwestsupplies, Austin Homebrew, and Northern Brewer.

In fact, I emailed Northern Brewer yesterday about their Kewler Kitz bulkheads and I had a response in less than an hour; followed up with additional question - again answered in less than an hour.

It's possible your private message got lost - did you send it more than once? Maybe they don't check PM, but check their email, and answer their phones.

Plus, if you are going to bash, I'd definitely throw the name out there so at least they can defend theirself. You are doing nothing positive in any manner by making a post of that nature. If your concern is valid (doubtful?), then we wouldn't even know which vendor you are talking about in order to avoid them...

Take Papazians advice and RDWHAHB or whatever the hell that anagram is...

The only online supply that I'm aware of who posts here has been very open about answering questions, even those buried within threads.

Moderator,
Perhaps this should be moved to drunken ramblings, although I am not drunk.
Alcohol is not allowed in this country.

No I am not trying to hurt the online business market in any way. Infact, I prefer it to local business. (I know I am going to get flamed for that one)

I did not want to mention the place by name, and will not.

How long have they had to respond to your PM?

Do they have email also? Have you sent a message via email also?

Wait, so let me get this straight, when you say PM you mean you sent a PM on this forum to a representative of one of the companies, rather than emailing the company?

You know, it's one thing for a company to not respond to emails - if they provide an email address you should be able to expect that they read email sent to it. But I do not exactly think it is fair to think that a company should be expected to hang out in forums keeping track of their PM's... It's not like they're obligated to conduct business on the forum.

I'm gonna take a stab here, wild guess..no offense intended if I am incorrect....you're in the service, overseas in a location where alcohol is off limits and you have a question about shipping homebrew supplies there?

If you don't have access to a phone and need a different question answered quickly, PM me the info and I can place a call for you.

Sherpa FE said:
Kinda hard to do overseas, in my particular case, I do not have that kind of access.(to call)

The questions were directed at thier products.

You have internet access but no telephone? :confused: :drunk:

brewt00l said:
I'm gonna take a stab here, wild guess..no offense intended if I am incorrect....you're in the service, overseas in a location where alcohol is off limits and you have a question about shipping homebrew supplies there?

I hope he's planning on making a belgian...

Evan! said:
You have internet access but no telephone? :confused: :drunk:

Seems to me he is in the military and located in the big kitty box. That would be the only reason why he would not waste a phone call ordering brew supplies.

Guy sounds like a nut job if you ask me (no offense)

How can you not have access to a phone to make a free call

Stop whining

Sherpa FE said:
I did not want to mention the place by name, and will not.

Shouldn't we have a right to know? If you aren't going to do business with them anymore because of their bad service, and are letting us know that "someone" (possibly the oogie boogie man) will not be getting your business.

the_bird said:
The only online supply that I'm aware of who posts here has been very open about answering questions, even those buried within threads.

And they are very fast (same day) to answer e-mails that are sent to them.

This is not the online supplier's place of business.

If you have business communications it should be via their website. That would be the most sensible place to contact them.

orfy said:
This is not the online supplier's place of business.

If you have business communications it should be via their website. That would be the most sensible place to contact them.
Agreed, email them, don't depend on a PM on a forum they sometimes visit...................................

TUCK said:
Guy sounds like a nut job if you ask me (no offense)

How can you not have access to a phone to make a free call

Stop whining

:off: How can you call someone a nut job and then say "no offense?" That's all it is.

Read the thread. It's quite clear he's in the military, stationed in the middle east, and doesn't want to waste a phone call he could use to contact loved ones, to call a homebrew supplier, and isn't allowed to email a homebrew supplier. Therefore, he's trying a very round-about way of contacting them.

Don't get offended if they don't get your message, because you went through very unusual channels of communications to get ahold of this vendor.

Do yourself a favor and PM one of the mods with your question and ask them if they'll contact the vendor for you, I'll even do it if you need me to. I'm sure most of them would be willing to help out one of our service personnel.

srm775 said:
:off: How can you call someone a nut job and then say "no offense?" That's all it is.

True, the statement was out of line.

For the record: Him stationed somewhere was not clear to me at the time

I stand by my whining statement (all in good humor don't get your camo thong in a wad.

I have added an apology to the original post.

I would like to say to all, that I am stationed in the sand box. I did not want to waste my own money calling an 800 number. I was not contacting the company to purchase items for brewing overseas, that would get me into big trouble.
I was asking very specific questions about that company's merchandise. I did not want to use official military e-mail to do so. The PM was the best way for me, and the vendor was online at the time of my PM. 2 weeks later still nothing.
I do not want to mention the name due to the fact, that I am almost positive that lots of other people here, like and have had no problems with the company. Therefore I did not want to make a statement directly to the company. Rather, this is my feeling about what happened, I guess more of a RANT, than anything.
I am not offended that they did not respond to me, I was just stating that I choose to take my future business elsewhere because of the lack of communication. I hold no ill feelings toward them at all.
I am sure it would not be ANY problem in the states at all, I would just pick up the phone, or drop an e-mail. If the PM was "lost" in cyber space then it really is just a RANT like I said in the beginning.

I have been serving my Country with pride for the last 18 years Sir, I can guarantee you, it is not whining. Although I probably am a little crazy, kinda goes with the territory.

I would like to thank everyone here for answering questions about brewing, and equipment, I think you all have literally saved me hundreds of dollars. I have never had a question go unanswered.

Sherpa FE said:
I have added an apology to the original post.

I would like to say to all, that I am stationed in the sand box. I did not want to waste my own money calling an 800 number. I was not contacting the company to purchase items for brewing overseas, that would get me into big trouble.
I was asking very specific questions about that company's merchandise. I did not want to use official military e-mail to do so. The PM was the best way for me, and the vendor was online at the time of my PM. 2 weeks later still nothing.
I do not want to mention the name due to the fact, that I am almost positive that lots of other people here, like and have had no problems with the company. Therefore I did not want to make a statement directly to the company. Rather, this is my feeling about what happened, I guess more of a RANT, than anything.
I am not offended that they did not respond to me, I was just stating that I choose to take my future business elsewhere because of the lack of communication. I hold no ill feelings toward them at all.
I am sure it would not be ANY problem in the states at all, I would just pick up the phone, or drop an e-mail. If the PM was "lost" in cyber space then it really is just a RANT like I said in the beginning.

I have been serving my Country with pride for the last 18 years Sir, I can guarantee you, it is not whining. Although I probably am a little crazy, kinda goes with the territory.

I would like to thank everyone here for answering questions about brewing, and equipment, I think you all have literally saved me hundreds of dollars. I have never had a question go unanswered.
Well just get home safe and then brew your azz off. In the mean time I will raise a mug for you. 18 years, almost there. I retired at 20 years and 11 days. :D BTW, I know plenty of folks over there that use email for non-mission related purposes. If you like, I have a military email address (still work for the Army as a civilian) PM me and I'll send you my address and I can forward your questions for you.

Sherpa FE said:

I can appreciate your difficulty in contacting them but you did select the worst method of communication with the vendor, a PM via a public forum they happen to belong to. Many vendors that post on public forums don't respond to PMs...some do. Course, it's entirely your choice not to patronize them as a result.

I wouldn't apologize. By posting those sort of complaints at a site like this it insures that the online suppliers will practice a culture of goodwill or lose business.

A particular supplier up north near a big midwwestern city by a big north to south lake, with a flashy website took my order and money three weeks ago and will not answer my e-mails. I'd call em but they don't have a telephone number posted at their website and the yellow pages numbers are disconnected. I did however contact one of their supporters/advertisers who assured me that they were in business and a thriving one at that. Guess having a telephone number for their customers would be too much trouble for them.

So far I've learned an expensive lesson: look for a telephone number first because if they don't have one on their site, that is likely a clear indication of the level of service they intend to give to their customers.

Per business school, for every PO'd customer - they tell about 27 others, I plan to tell even more - especially since the owners held themselves out on the site and have other businesses.

This is the second post where you're trying to call out a supplier for poor service/policy. I'm afraid I'm not getting the hint. If you have a bone to pick, post the url. Maybe they have a phone number and you've missed it. That's the only way we can help. Why be vague?

At first I thought maybe northernbrewer or midwestsupplies but they both have phone numbers clearly on their site.

Sherpa FE said:
I would like to say to all, that I am stationed in the sand box.
I have been serving my Country with pride for the last 18 years Sir…I probably am a little crazy, kinda goes with the territory.

Yep…you’re crazy alright…and so am I. ;)

Tell you what Sherpa FE…promise from me to you. You get back to the states, PM me with a mailing address and I’ll drop two bombers of my best HB in the mail for you. Tis the very least I can do to say thanks.

Get home safe…

Absolutely get home safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all of the troops. I served in Kabul, Afghanistan during Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2002 and know how tough that can be. Thank goodness we were able to get some beer from our friends the Germans!!!

I will be thinking of you and all of the troops during this time. Tomorrow we will be giving thanks to all that we have. And it is because of you, those you serve with, and those that have served before you that we have all we are thankful for. Thank you. Get home safe and have a homebrew!!

:eek:
Sheesh, now I am embarassed.
Thanks Biermuncher I appreciate the offer, beer right about now sounds really good.... it has been too long since I have had any.

Mayday, thanks as well. Tomorrow I will be flying for Thanksgiving, and I am glad. I am not sure if I can stomach the chowhall fake turkey.

Happy Turkey day to you all.
Josh

:mug:

Back