Dry hopping in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozzydog1

Reaction score
I will be using a nylon hop bag with 3 oz of citra hops. Any thoughts on if i am better off just hooking keg up at serving temp and let sit for about 2 weeks or dry hop without any co2. Any better results with hoping in primary/secondary rather then in keg?

If you're using three ounces of hops, make sure you use a huge bag, or several small ones. You want the hops loose in the bag(s), and not packed in, so that the beer can contact/permeate all of the hops.

I dryhop in the keg all the time. Sometimes I leave the keg at room temperature for 5 days before chilling (to get the most out of the dryhops- it happens faster at room temperature), sometimes I chill right away. If I chill right away, it takes more like 14 days to really get the dryhops aroma out of the beer (due to the colder temperature).

Either way, I love the results and dryhop in the keg often! The co2 doesn't seem to matter at all. The only thing I would do is make sure to not carbonate by "burst carbing" the keg by shaking/purging- as each time you purge the keg you'd be blowing off the nice hops aroma you're trying to develop. Otherwise, putting it on the gas is fine.

Back