False bottom keggle gravity drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I would like to add a false bottom and ball valve to my keggle. My primary goal is just to filter out any sludge that made it from the mash tun and be able to use hops with out a hop bag. I also do not have a march pump so it will need to gravity drain from the keggle into my fermenter.

Question: Will the resistance added by the false bottom + any sludge that it traps be so much that gravity drain will not work? Do most folks using a false bottom run pumps?

I apologize if it's a dumb question, just finally getting around to upgrading some equipment.

It kinda depends on the trub in the wort and how much is in there. I wouldn't think you'd need to use a pump with a gravity fed setup. Just place it up nice and high and let gravity do the work.

Thanks! Anyone else gravity feeding with a false bottom? I am looking at the jaybird bottom, should be nice

Back