Affect of changing temperature of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmiltime

Reaction score
Hey gang, I have been floating around here for a while picking up great info but this is my first post so take it easy on me. I have kegged a high gravity beer (Gulden Draak Clone OG - 1.100 / FG 1.021) and it had been conditioning nicely for the past 5 weeks in the keg at about 70° F. I decided to put it in the kegerator (dual tap mini fridge) and couldn't help but taste it. I could tell the brew is going to taste great but I could tell it needs a while longer to mellow out as the alcohol was quite apparent. With that in mind, I would like to put another brew in its place that will be ready to go in about a week.

My question: What, if any, will be the affect of removing this brew from kegerator and storing it at room temp again? It will be going from about 40°F to about 68°F. I am guessing this beer is going to need another couple of months and would really like to tap another lower gravity brew in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

i'm sure it will be fine. not that i'm any expert, but i'd definitely take it out of the fridge if it meant getting another on tap in the mean time.

Thanks for the reply Android. I know that temp affects carbonation and I've heard temp changes will skink bottled beer. I just didn't want to risk losing the whole batch because of a rookie mistake.

I'm starting to think that temperature change won't skunk a beer, and that it is only light that skunks it. I've always wanted another opinion on this though.

I'm starting to think that temperature change won't skunk a beer, and that it is only light that skunks it. I've always wanted another opinion on this though.

I agree with you. Light interacts with the hops oils, and causes that skunky flavor. Beer stales faster with high temperatures, but it's not true that taking beer out of the fridge and putting it back in ruins it. I've heard that said before- I'm not sure if it comes from an old ad campaign or what- but I know my dad has told me not to ever take his PBR out of the fridge once it's in there, since that will skunk his beer.

I just laugh and leave his beer alone. But in my house, I've often taken beer out of the fridge, even whole kegs. I've kegged beer and put it in the kegerator, and realized it needs more age. So I take it out and leave it at room temperature for conditioning.

It might be true that extreme temperature changes, or extreme temperatures, will damage the beer. But I'm not putting it on the dashboard of my car in August, I'm just keeping it at room temperature and it's fine!

Good to know because I need to take an Imperial Red of of the kegerator and let it set awhile before drinking it.

Back