Fermentation/Homebrew/Commercial... One Freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my first kegging equipment order... A basic 2 ball lock keg setup with picnic taps, a dual regulator, and 5lb tank from keg connection.com.

I have a small 5cf GE chest freezer with a Johnson analog temp controller that I have been using for fermentation temp control (then bottling). Unfortunately, this is all I have and there is no convincing SWMBO that I need another chest freezer or kegerator in the near future (we are in the process of selling our house/moving so I don't blame her). So... my fermentation freezer is going to have to be my keezer as well for a while.

I know there are going to be challenges with fermentation vs. serving temps and don't think I can get around that issue. I may have to compromise one way or the other.

I guess my real question is around serving homebrew and commercial at the same time. Can I stuff a ball lock keg of homebrew and a 5g sanke keg of commercial beer in this freezer (and have the other empty keg available for whatever I am brewing) and make it work? Is there a "homebrew to sanke converter" available?

Back