1 Gallon Glass Jugs....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWavs

Reaction score
For those of you that have used the 1 gallon glass jugs, how much of the yeast packet have you pitched for fermentation? I am using Nottingham Ale yeast and was planning on pitching half a packet into each of 2 jugs but was curious on what others have done.

Thanks!
David

I use 1/5th of a packet. Lately I've been measuring out exactly 1/5th of a packet on a grain scale (11 g. pack of Nottingham divided by 5 = 2.2 g). But that's some ridiculous OCD going on! And since the price of Nottingham went up, this stretches it further and it's never failed to ferment.

You could pitch the entire pack, as an 11g pack of Notty says it's for 1-6 US gallons. Since notty at my LHBS is almost $5 a pack I'd probably be inclined to use 1/4 of a pack (2.75g) give or take on a 1 gallon batch. I'd probably also have a yeast nutrient on hand in case fermentation fizzles

I used 1/5 of an 11g pack of Nottingham Ale as well. Dried out perfect and didnt have to rack several times to get rid of the lees.

I would suggest washing your yeast if the cost is a factor. Its easy, look for the videos on YouTube, they explain it in very simple terms.

Theoretically you can wash your yeast over and over without having to buy more.

That said I made a 1 gallon batch with a gram of knotty but I used a starter to make sure it took hold. The reason I used one gram was it was what was left in the pack after I made my bigger batch. Didn't get all of it out when I dumped it. Oops. :)

I thinking think the packs say it is enough for 6 gallons when it will surely make more. Cya/marketing type thing to get you to buy more. Truth is with a good starter and nutrient and washing you can really stretch that 11g pack.

I just started a 1 gallon batch 2 days ago and used Nottingham Ale yeast as well. I poured the whole packet in. From my obsessive research the more yeast the better. After 12 hours it was 1 to 1.5 seconds between bubbles.

I guess my theory is: I would rather have too many yeasties having fun than too little ya know?

Edit: actually use 1/3 to 1/2...I now prefer 1/3. I don't think I will ever use a full packet one gallon again.

Brooklyn Brew Shop suggests 1/2 packet in the instructions that come with their kits. That's what I've been using and it works great.

go with what divi says...don't toss your little yeastie buddies away...they worked hard for you so collect them and keep that culture going in your fridge.

Back