Am I screwed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have an IPA that has spent 3.5 weeks in primary. I transferred it to secondary yesterday. As I was taking the carboy cap off to take a smell, one of the small caps that cover the holes in the cap fell off and into my secondary fermenter. What should I do? Bottle it immediately before I get a large infection? I had intended to dry hop this beer for a week. Thanks for the help.

It would be a waste of time to even bottle this beer. It's infected for sure. Just dump it out.

Just kidding. It's fine. The alcohol and the hops in there will ward off most infections. Dry hop and bottle as planned.

yeah, forget it ever happened. you wouldnt believe what some people have done to beer on this forum and not fell victim to infection. i'm tempted to stick a straw in, get a mouth full, gargle it and spit it back in and tempt fate :rockin: you'll be fine.

My brother once sneezed into his wort while he was pitching the yeast. I believe his words at the time were "Ah, f*** it, if it tastes like crap then I'm only out $30." That batch turned out to be his best.

Regardless, it'll contain alcohol. If nothing else - a friendly gift for any winos in the neighborhood who are getting tired of rubbing solution.

Regardless, it'll contain alcohol. If nothing else - a friendly gift for any winos in the neighborhood who are getting tired of rubbing solution.

I hand out mouthwash. I figure it's a favor to society. If you're gonna have drunken winos/hobos, they might as well hit you up for money with fresh breath.

Latest posts

Back