Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoke76

Reaction score
After my first brew, I want to harvest the yeast to use it for my next batch of the same beer.
1. How do I store it?

2. How do I pitch it again and how much do i use?

I'm very new to this and mabey dry yeast is better, but I want to try it.

g

You can just pour the COOLED wort onto the yeast cake in the primary.

If you already have a 5 gal pot full then that's the time to take your gravity reading before the pour.

You could take half of it and learn how to wash if that's what you want to do later. Learn as you go and if it fails you're still brewing/fermenting with the other half. :D

I just did a warshing for the first time this weekend. I boiled a big ass pot of water.....ok, about 2 liters, and let that cool.

I took 2 different bottles, one Gatorade and one cranberry bottle, and used those as my washing vessels. I poured in about half of a big ass Gatorade bottle of the cooled/boiled water, and let that mix with the cake in the bottom of the carboy.

Poured as much as I could fit into the Gatorade bottle, and let it settle. After 10-15 mins, you could see the hops in the bottom, and the beer on top. So I poured the top of it into the half full (of cooled/boiled water) cranberry juice bottle, and let that settle for a bit. Did the same thing, transfered the top part back into the Gatorade bottle, and let that sit overnight.

I can see the little yeasties, and I will make a starter to grow more of the yeast. I'm just experimenting, so we'll see how it goes.

Latest posts

Back