Has my brew gone bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broomee

Reaction score
Put down a basic extract with added malt powder and hops a couple of weeks ago. Ferment started fast and was going hard for a few days then stopped. Planned to bottle that weekend but didnt end up getting the time. Went to do it the following weekend and noticed that it had started fermenting again. This went on for about 2 days until yesterday. When taking a gravity reading I noticed it just didnt quite smell right and had a funny taste. Is it destined for the drain??? :drunk:

Elaborate on "funny taste" please, post your recipe, brewing, sanitation and temp control processes if you want us to try to diagnose your issue

Your beer is most likely fine... it will taste a lot different once its carbonated and aged. Leave it a lone, bottle it after a hydrometer reading is stable for a few days (just wait 3 weeks...) Then carb for 3 weeks, and leave one in the fridge for a few days before trying.

Then you can make your judgment on taste.

Smell - Slightly Metallic
Taste - Industrial ish
Looks - Quite cloudy compared to others but that was what I was aiming for.
Procedure - Same as each of my other brews.
Temp - Maybe a bit high due to the summer temps, sat around 28C.

It was more the fact that my first impression upon smelling was that it just didnt seem right. Its my 7th brew and never had this happen before.

28 degrees is way too hot for a clean fermentation - 19-20 degrees is a good target for most ales.

the metallic taste and smell can be cause by unprotected metal coming in contact with your wort. it can also be caused by extract that hasn't been stored properly. large amounts of iron in your brew can cause the cloudiness. does your brew pot have a ceramic coating on the metal? if so any chips, nicks or cracks will expose the metal and give you the symptoms you report.

Thats yet another mystery. I brew in a plastic fermenter, mix with a plastic spoon, fill with water using plastic container.

I may be a bit off with my description of the smell and taste as it is just different.

The main thing that worries my is the fact that the ferment had definately stopped for a good 7 days with an SG of 1.014. Bit high but had other ales around that at finish.

But then started to ferment again for another 2 days stopped and had an SG of 1.013 when sampled and noticed the strange smeel and taste.

Its not overpowering, just there.

What style of beer was the recipe for?
Did you use an immersion wort chiller?
Are you sure you sanitized everything that you put in it after the boil?
Is your hydrometer properly calibrated?

I'd leave it alone and let it sit for another week or so and see what happens.

Back