My first brew - thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Hey everyone, my first brew is bubbling along nicely in primary, this is the recipe thus far (the hop bill is full of substitutes, as my HBS was out of what I wanted):

6.6 lb Light LME
1 lb 6 Row 40L Crystal

2 oz Chinook (60)
1 oz Columbus (60)

1 oz Newport (20)
1 oz Cascade (20)

Teaspoon Irish Moss (15)

1 oz Cascade (5)
1 oz Simcoe (5)
---------------------------

Now - I was stupid and didn't filter my wort before priming. I'm a noob, c'mon! I'd like to add 2 lbs of honey during secondary, and dry hop w/ 2 oz Sincoe for 14 days.

Thoughts/ideas before I put it into secondary in a few days?? Thanks for anything you've all got to say. Cheers!

Wouldn't worry too much about not filtering (I'm assuming you got the hops out). The time in primary (and potentially secondary) should get most, if not all, of the junk to fall out.

If its your first brew, I would hold off on the honey until you get the rest of the process down, then you can start experimenting.

Keep going, though. It gets addicting.

Going to secondary in a couple of days might give you some trouble as you've probably got a lot of floaters in there at this point.

I'd give it more time in primary so all of the "crap" settles.

Hah, there should be plenty of crap in there. My 60 min hopping was done w/ pellet hops, without a hop bag. The 20 & 5 min additions were bagged. I poured the wort directly into primary, trub and all. Can this be detrimental??

Not detrimental, but let it sit for longer than 2 weeks in secondary for everything to fall out of suspension all over again.

never had a problem doing it that way. I use pellets mostly and never filter them out. I also go straight from primary to keg and have great results. usually keg condition for about a week ( if I can wait that long ) and the first pint is yeasty but after that its smooth sailing.

this is going to be hoppy as hel (assuming 5 gallons)l but should be delicious in about 45 days. as for the honey addition I would second another HBT'er and get the process down before trying to add honey during the secondary.

Back