"Blender" (I?)IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looper

Reaction score
I had some leftover grains, and decided to throw them all together in the hopes of creating something greater than the sum of all the parts.

I had a super smooth, quick day brewing this up. Let me know how you think it'll turn out.

My all-grain recipe is as follows:

11.50# 2-Row Pale Malt
.50# Marris Otter
.50# Amber Malt
.5# CaraPils
1# Crystal 20L
1# Pure Cane Sugar (added w/ 15 minutes left in boil)
1# Clover Honey (added w/ 15 minutes left in boil)

Mashed @ 152, hybrid fly-sparge technique.

[1.00 oz] NZ Pacific Jade 14.25%AA (FWH)
[1.00 oz] Chinook 11.75%AA (60min)
[.25 oz] Citra 11.40%AA (20min)
[.25 oz] Simcoe 14.10%AA (20min)
[.25 oz] Amarillo 9.25%AA (20min)
[.25 oz] Citra 11.40%AA (15min)
[.25 oz] Simcoe 14.10%AA (15min)
[.25 oz] Amarillo 9.25%AA (15min)
[.25 oz] Citra 11.40%AA (10min)
[.25 oz] Simcoe 14.10%AA (10min)
[.25 oz] Amarillo 9.25%AA (10min)
[.25 oz] Citra 11.40%AA (5min)
[.25 oz] Simcoe 14.10%AA (5min)
[.25 oz] Amarillo 9.25%AA (5min)

Whirlfloc and yeast nutrient added @ 15 minutes
Distilled H20 treated with gypsum and epsom salts in the mash.

OG = 1091 @ 73% efficiency
Est IBUs = 132.9
8.3 SRM

Pacman Yeast (1.5L starter)

I'm planning on leaving it in the primary for 3 weeks, racking to secondary onto a few oz's of simcoe and amarillo hops.

What do you guys think? :rockin:

Oh. Then I made bread from the spent grains. Homebrewed oatmeal stout was part of the ingredients.

image-3108630453.jpg

It's 4:42 am and both your posts are making me drool. Is that wrong?

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

That's a lot of honey! Not in a bad way- just a decent quantity. Dunno how it'll taste, but it can't be that bad, can it? And that bread is makin me drool all over my keyboard. Kyle

That doesn't look like a bad recipe. And the bread looks awesome. Let us know how the brew turned out and that dang bread recipe!

I used sfbayjay's recipe from the thread here on HBT:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f56/spent-grain-bread-87486/index2.html

Hey! Great thread here. Inspired me to try my own take on baking with spent grains. I used spent grains from my recent attempt at cloning Deschutes Mirror Pond.

Here are my results:

DSCN2464.jpg

DSCN2467.jpg

And here's my take on a recipe:

3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

Combine grain, 2 cups of bread flour, salt, and brown sugar in large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.

Dissolve 1/2 tsp white sugar in 112*F water in a small bowl. Sprinkle dry yeast on water surface. Cover bowl w. foil and hold between 110* and 115* for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, add beer and oil to grain/flour mixture and stir together. Slowly add 2 more cups of bread flour and combine (I just used my hands, coated w. flour to avoid sticking).

After 10 mins soaking, gently stir yeast mixture, replace cover and rest for 5 mins or until yeast cream is nice and thick.

Add yeast mixture to dough and combine by hand. Slowly add remaining bread flour until dough is stiff and only a bit sticky.

Turn out dough onto floured surface and knead for 8-10 minutes. Place dough in large bowl coated w. nonstick spray, cover w. damp towel, and leave for 2-3 hours (or until roughly double in size) in a warm spot to rise.

After initial rise, punch down dough and turn out onto floured surface. Shape into a round loaf, pulling the top of the loaf tight. Grease (or spray) a large cookie sheet and sprinkle with a bit of cornmeal to prevent sticking. Place loaf on prepared sheet, cover w. damp towel, and allow to rise for another 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until roughly doubled.

Preheat oven to 425*F. Bake loaf on center rack for 20 minutes. Using a spray bottle with clean water, mist the entire loaf (6-8 squirts) every 5 minutes for the first 20 minutes. Then reduce oven temp to 375* and bake another 25 mins, or until loaf sounds hollow when thumped with a knuckle. Cool, cut, and munch. :)

Yum! This thread got me going, so thanks for the inspiration.

:mug:

The only thing I would do differently, is grinding/food processing/blendering the spent grains before mixing with the other ingredients. The bread is AWESOME, but the sharp husks get stuck in your teeth easily.

That's a lot of honey! Not in a bad way- just a decent quantity. Dunno how it'll taste, but it can't be that bad, can it? And that bread is makin me drool all over my keyboard. Kyle

I want this beer to finish relatively dry, so I added the sugar and the honey (which add up to 12% of the fermentables). I'm not sure if you know, but 1# of honey really isn't that much. It is a bottle that looks like about 8fl oz.

I think it sounds delicious. If you wanted it to finish dry, why the 154F mash?

I planned on mashing at 154 since Pacman yeast attenuates so well, but actually ended up mashing at 152. I'm hoping to have a FG somewhere around 1.012-1.016..

How long do you guys think I should leave in primary? So far, it's been 2 weeks. (And yes, I will make sure the FG is stable).

The only reason I ask, is because I have never made a beer with such high gravity. Obviously the longer, the better, but at the same time I don't want to be losing hop aroma/flavor.

FYI I will be racking to secondary on top of 2oz whole leaf Amarillo and 2oz whole leaf Simcoe.

I have done double IPA's that spent 2 weeks in primary + 1 in secondary dry hopping. After about 1-2 weeks in the keg it's good to go, despite the alcohol content. The trick is using a ton of healthy yeast and fermenting at the appropriate temperature.

It's a double IPA. Yes, time will mellow it out a bit, but this style is all about smack-you-in-the-face hop character, and even the best brewed examples start deteriorating after a few weeks in the keg or bottle. If your gravity is stable, I would dry hop and get a move on.

Thanks buddy. That's what I was leaning towards.

The fg bottomed out at 1018, which is fine. The residual sweetness is actually welcomed alongside the hefty bitterness. Sample tasted good, but hot.

Hopefully a week in secondary, and 3 weeks in bottles will make this one turn out how I want it!!

image-3050766019.jpg

I bottled this monster on December 6th, and had a little trouble carbing in bottles. I've concluded that it was a combination of the abv (9.6%), and it possibly being too cold (~67F) for the yeast to work.

I moved the bottles to a warmer place and gave them some extra time. Even though it took about ~7 weeks to carbonate, it was worth the wait. Absolutely phenomenal.

image-3732288592.jpg

Back