Where's My Vodka Going?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I am oak aging 1 gallon of my Unearthly IIPA clone. So far in about 10 days I have filled my airlock full of Vodka 3x's and they have all "disappeared." I looked for Gnome dropping and tracks but cant find anything. I know most likely its not Gnome's but a change in pressure... What could cause this? The room is same temperature pretty much year round (basement closet). Any ideas.... this is why I put vodka in my airlock but I don't want a oak vodka-esk IIPA. Any remedies?

:mug:

I will drown them in starsan.... I will look for a crack but I haven't seen in liquid on my 1 gallon growler.

"I don't always drink beer.. but when I do.. I drink my home brew.."

really that fast?

Yes. Also there is warm air bubbling up through it. Vodka evaporates faster than water due to the alcohol content.

FWIW, I usually fill mine with starsan and it only has needed refilling after a few weeks in the summer (usually the AC keeps the basement dry)...

Blame science. The latent heat of evaporation for pure ethanol is 364 BTU/LB and water is 970.4 BTU/LB.

Or maybe the gnomes are mixing it with the energy drink that gives them wings. To keep them drunks away 1 oz tap water has worked fine.

I use vodka also and have had it in my airlock for almost a month now. Level is just about where I topped it off at, maybe a little evaporation, but it's very little.

Maybe a crack?

It could be that it's getting cooler at night,& causing a negative pressure in the FV,so the vodka gets sucked back. As the other fella said,mine doesn't evaporate much at all. You must have some really dry air in your house. Check the DE-humidifier to see if it's set too high. Moist air carries more heat & cold than dry air,using less energy to do so.

Suckback.

I've used vodka for quite some time now and the only airlock that ever went dry was my mead which sat for about 6 months before I noticed it was low.

Maybe try an "S" shaped airlock.

Or put it in a locked container so someone doesn't decide to take a nip off of it in the middle of the night.

Latest posts

Back