Critique my Citra-Orange IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerBrewer

Reaction score
I just finished this, folks. I was impressed by the taste going in, even after the top off water. Big flavor and what should be good balance. Nailed the OG at 1065 on the dot.

malt & fermentables

flavor gradient

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L Late

30% 3 0 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~ edit icon

30% 3 0 Briess DME Golden Light 43 5 ~ edit icon

20% 2 0 Marris Otter (Crisp) 38 4 ~ edit icon

10% 1 0 Crystal 40L 34 40 ~ edit icon

5% 0 8 Flaked Wheat 34 2 ~ edit icon

5% 0 8 American Six-row Pale 33 1 ~ edit icon

Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.064 / 15.7° Plato
(1.057 to 1.067)
Final Gravity
1.017 / 4.3° Plato
(1.015 to 1.019)
Color
9° SRM / 18° EBC
(Gold to Copper)
Mash Efficiency
75% edit
Late Boil Additions

hops
use time oz variety form aa

boil 60 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 13.9 edit icon

boil 20 mins 1.0 Chinook pellet 11.1 edit icon

boil 10 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 6.9 edit icon

boil 10 mins 0.5 Fuggles pellet 5.0 edit icon

boil 5 mins 0.5 Cascade pellet 6.9 edit icon

boil 5 mins 0.5 Fuggles pellet 5.0 edit icon
add icon
Boil: 3.8 avg gallons for 60 minutes edit

Bitterness
67.1 IBU / 14 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth edit
BU:GU

yeast

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast
ale yeast in dry form with low to medium flocculation and 73% attenuation edit

Alcohol
6.3% ABV / 5% ABW
Calories
211 per 12 oz.

misc
use time amount ingredient

boil 15 min 0.5 ounces Bitter Orange Peel edit icon

boil 15 min 1 ea Whirlfloc Tablet edit icon

I would definitely not use Citra at 60. And I'd lose the Fuggles entirely, because it's going to be totally lost with all the citrus, pine and mango/tropicals the other three hops are going to contribute.

Chinook @ 60
Cascade @ 20
Citra @ 7

Dry hop with more Citra, or Citra/Cascade 50/50...

Cheers!

I would definitely not use Citra at 60. And I'd lose the Fuggles entirely, because it's going to be totally lost with all the citrus, pine and mango/tropicals the other three hops are going to contribute.

Chinook @ 60
Cascade @ 20
Citra @ 7

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip on the aroma hops!

This is already made. I had to use the fuggles here so that I could spare the cascades for a brew made today. This is the recipe I went with but hopefully the fuggles will contribute something something other than pure IBUs.

Chinook @ 60
Cascade @ 20
Citra @ 7

Cheers!

Well, the beer is done carbing and tastes good but I have to admit that you were absolutely right.

Since I was wanting to use up the Fuggles, I shoudl have tossed them in with the bittering and used the Chinook there and the Citra and cascade for flavor and aroma. It was my mistake for sure but I've learned from it!

This beer tastes good, not bitter but well balanced and a bit like Blue Moon only better IMO.

I wouldn't make it this way again but it sets the groundwork for ways to progress and I like what the flaked wheat did to the head and the mouthfeel.

I use orange peel and zest all the time...I find that the only way to get it to come through is adding it at flameout and whirlpooling. I also make a vodka potion and zest several oranges, let it sit for a week then add it to the secondary or bottling bucket.

Yeah, Citras are great for flavor and aroma, one of my favorites. I'll use just about anything at 60 minutes since I only get less than half my IBUs that way and there is no flavor contribution.

Back