Lager Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmhilker

Reaction score
I brewed my first lager (Oktoberfest), and it has been in the lagering fridge for 12 weeks (at ~ 38 degrees). Do I need to pitch more yeast for proper carbonation (I plan to bottle)? If so, what type, and what is the process for doing that?

BTW, this is only my second brew, the first one was a Kolsch, and it was awesome!

Thanks,

Dave.

Preferably the same yeast. A more aggressive yeast might start a new fermentation and give you bottle bombs. I boil my primer sugar, let it cool, and add the new yeast to that.
Add the whole thing to the bottling bucket, rack in, viola..(or some such french word, a viola may be a musical instrument.)

When I make lagers, sometimes I add more yeast, sometimes not. If your beer is very clear and you have some concerns about bottle carbonating, then you can certainly add more yeast.

It doesn't matter what kind of yeast you use- the lager is finished and the flavor profile is already set. The little bit of fermentation in the bottle will not add anything to the flavor. I usually use a pinch (maybe 1/4-1/3 packet) of Nottingham, and do what demon does and had that to my cooled priming solution. Stir that well, wait a couple of minutes for the yeast to dissolve, and then rack the beer into it. Then bottle and keep at 68 degrees until carbed up.

Back