Rate My Crush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greeneyed

Reaction score
My BIL gave me 2 commercial coffee mills.
One pretty much pulverized the grain even adjusted all the way out.
These are pictures of what the other one did.
Will this work for all grain?
Sorry about crappy phone pics.

Thanks

image002k.jpg

image001xc.jpg

image0022t.jpg

image0012.jpg

Well, that is even better. That is the coarsest setting. Right now it pretty much shells the chaff, and break kernel in two.

Break the kernel up more, keep the husks intact, like this:
Conditioned_Malt_1_.JPG

OK, thanks POL. Will do some adjusting tonight, and be back with pics.
How much fines are acceptable?

There is no way I can answer that. Some systems are more prone to stuck mashes. The photo above is of conditioned malt, which will keep the husks MUCH more intact. You can crush pretty fine if you condition your malt.

OK, thanks POL. Will do some adjusting tonight, and be back with pics.
How much fines are acceptable?

If you can manage to keep the husks in tact, then you could grind the rest to powder, but you would never be able to run-off if you did that. Like the Pol said, that part really depends on your system.

If you can manage to keep the husks in tact, then you could grind the rest to powder, but you would never be able to run-off if you did that.

I BIAB and crush with my BC at .030. Good bit of flour and never have a stuck sparge because I don't sparge anymore :) When I just used a false bottom, I had issues even with the stock .039 setting. My buddy's system never seemed to stick, even with a finer crush - so, every system is different.

Well, that is even better. That is the coarsest setting. Right now it pretty much shells the chaff, and break kernel in two.

Yes, but that's not really what you want. If the kernel is just broken in half there will be only one side where the water can enter the endosperm. What you will end up with is unconverted starch inside that piece of endosperm.

Give it a try but I expect that your efficiency will be low. I once brewed with such a "crush" b/c the HBS I bought the malt from had such a coffee mill and even with decoction I barely got 65% efficiency.

A roller mill squeezes the endosperm such that it crumbles and falls out as flour and grits.

Kai

Yes, but that's not really what you want. If the kernel is just broken in half there will be only one side where the water can enter the endosperm. What you will end up with is unconverted starch inside that piece of endosperm.
Give it a try but I expect that your efficiency will be low. I once brewed with such a "crush" b/c the HBS I bought the malt from had such a coffee mill and even with decoction I barely got 65% efficiency.
A roller mill squeezes the endosperm such that it crumbles and falls out as flour and grits.
Kai

Also, with the coffee grinder, I would imagine that grinding up the endosperm more would lead to grinding up the husk more as well, which is something that you do not want.

That's another advantage of a roller mill, instead of grinding on some way it crushes the grain so the husk will stay mainly intact, especially if you condition your malt like mentioned earlier.

so, every system is different.

I said that, but you cut it off when you quoted me for some reason.

Back