Oops... No tubing and batch started

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylee21

Reaction score
Help, please. My brew friend was called home right as we were sorting, cleaning and prepping the brew. I started and am on the steeping stage, but he accidentally left with the auto siphon tubing.

I have no extra tubing, just the auto siphon, I don't think the auto siphon will just pour out the top without the tube to hold wort and drain with the gravity.

Suggestions?

Some people just dump everything in the fermenter trub and all. So no siphon would be needed. I haven't done it myself. But hey I guess there is a first time for everything.

Just dump it. Jamil says that it will not effect the beer (assuming it is and ale) in any way, except make it hoppier. Lager is an different animal.

It's an ESB, so I'll take the advice and just dump it.

I follow the primary only fermentation method advised on the forums, with dumping it all in should I do a secondary?

It's an ESB, so I'll take the advice and just dump it.

I follow the primary only fermentation method advised on the forums, with dumping it all in should I do a secondary?

I've done that a few times in a pinch, and haven't used a secondary. Turned out fine. There is more stuff in the bottom of the fermenter when all is said and done, but just exercise caution when siphoning to the bottling bucket.

I used to siphon into my fermenter but now I use hop bags, fish them out, and then dump my kettle into a funnel into my carboy. I figure it helps oxygenate the wort and it's nice and easy (except for the lifting and pouring part!)

TwoGunz said:
I used to siphon into my fermenter but now I use hop bags, fish them out, and then dump my kettle into a funnel into my carboy. I figure it helps oxygenate the wort and it's nice and easy (except for the lifting and pouring part!)

Exactly what I do.

You could dump most of the wort into the fermenter and when you get near the end of the pour, you could strain the remaining wort through a sanitized screen or rag to catch the trub if you are worried about it. Like mentioned earlier, it won't hurt the beer to let it all go in the primary though.

I normally dump through a double strainer, but if I didn't have one I would not have a problem with dumping everything into the primary. Shouldn't affect decision to secondary

Back